Help with power of attorney

abijac

Jul 12, 2014
I have recently got power of attorney for my mum as she has been in and out of hospital for the last few months and is unable to pay any bills etc herself. My Dad has dementia and has had to go into a care home because of mums illness. What I need to know is what do I do now to pay the bills etc now as the care home fees are racking up. Mum and Dad have joint accounts with no cheque book or debit card. As I live a long distance away I need to know the process I need to follow before travelling up to the bank. I have the feeling its not going to be as simple as walking into the bank and asking for access. Mum obviously still has mental capacity but physically unable to do anything so how do I prove this to the bank. Sorry for all the questions but this has been a stressful few months and I just want to get everything clear in my head before I approach the bank.

Dunkers58

Nov 9, 2013
Hampshire
hello

Could you call the local branch of the bank and ask what their procedure is? I am only 25 miles away from my Mum but was able to make an appointment at the branch local to me, I had to take the POA document and my proof of identity,they will then issue you with your own card and cheque book for the account, you should also be able to do online banking. you hopefully then can set up direct debits for all the regular bills. From reading posts on here I think some banks are more accommodating than others. Good luck!

Cloverland

Jun 9, 2014
It's not as difficult as it sounds. Make an appointment with your mums bank, doesn't have to be her branch, I live 200 miles away and was able to set up POA on the account from my home town. When you make the appointment tell them what it's for and take your POA document, proof of ID such as current council tax invoice and utility bill.

All should be explained at the appointment, but, the process can take up to 3 weeks depending on bank.

Meanwhile, call the care home and explain, if they are decent they will wait as they must deal with this all the time.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If it's an LPA or general power you should just be able to take her place, I'd try the local branch of her bank first and try and set up internet access.

As your mum has capacity she could sign a third party mandate, I would see if the bank would allow you internet access on such a mandate. This may be easier and quicker than using the power of attorney.

I would think about splitting the joint account into two sole accounts, does your Dad have capacity? Has he made an EPA or LPA?

abijac

Jul 12, 2014
Did think of separating the accounts up but I only have appointee for dad's benefits so if accounts were separated still wouldn't be able to pay his bills. Thanks for advice will speak to local branch tomorrow

abijac

Jul 12, 2014
I have just read that they will not discount mums savings until their joint account drops to 46500. Is this correct. I presumed that if I got statements of the initial accounts then only dads half would be taken into account but if they do it that way mums half would also have to drop. The problem is if I separate accounts I would not be able to pay Dads fees.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If your Dad lacks capacity I don't think the joint account can be split without involving the Court of Protection.

The LA will always include half of the joint account in your Dad's assets, this will carry on after the upper limit is reached until the lower limit is reached, in effect you Mum will be paying half your Dad's fees.

Have you considered applying to become a COP Deputy for your Dad? This would enable your parents' finances to be administered separately and also the house to be sold if this should become necessary.

abijac

Jul 12, 2014
I guess I was naive thinking that if we kept of account of the joint amount that they would only take figures from Dads half. I find a different problem to overcome everyday with this process.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The problem with your Mum's POA is transient.

The problem with handling your Dad's finances is permanent until you become a Deputy and it could well become a bigger problem.

You could mitigate some of the loss of your Mum's assets in financing your Dad by opening another account in her sole name and paying all her income into it whilst still paying joint expenses - housing costs - out of the joint account.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharonmatthews1976