Help with LPA

MimoMilo

Feb 6, 2016
Hi all.
I have one original copy of both LPA ( health and finance) I arranged these myself over the Internet. Can I go to any solicitor to get copies made or should I go back to the office of public guardian ? How many copies should I have of each? Any advice welcome and appreciated x

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Hi all.
I have one original copy of both LPA ( health and finance) I arranged these myself over the Internet. Can I go to any solicitor to get copies made or should I go back to the office of public guardian ? How many copies should I have of each? Any advice welcome and appreciated x

I have LPA for my father in law an so far have found photocopies of the original have been accepted. A solicitor would charge for more copies.
Vera

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. If you use a solicitor to make certified copies be sure to shop around.
I've seen posts on here where they charged anything from £5 per copy to a couple of hundred £s
I'm sorry I haven't re read any of your posts but if your mum still has capacity and is able to write, she can self certify copies herself.
I'll look up the actual wording required and post it here in a mo.

I would say do a minimum of three copies each and keep one copy locked away somewhere safe as it can be used to make another original LPA if you should lose the original one.

Which reminds me I must get dad to self certify his one.

Here is the link
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/certify

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
The OPG charges £35 per copy I think. I'm pretty sure you can get it cheaper through a solicitor but you must make sure they sign every page and not just the front page! I'd say three is enough for the financial and one for the health - I don't see how you'd have to send that away ever. With the financial, just don't tackle everything at once and always ask for the certified copy to be returned to you.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
I have LPA for my father in law an so far have found photocopies of the original have been accepted. A solicitor would charge for more copies.
Vera

banks and department of pensions will not accept copies .our solicitor copied ours for nowthing as we did it through him which cost us 1500 to do it.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I wasn't aware that the OPG could provide copies of LPAs.

I got 5 copies of the legal and financial one done. I had loads of investments to deal with. I was charged £10 for this, I have then had to go back as some institutions needed further details (there is official wording required - which they did comply with) and I was charged another £5 for 3 having added details and 2 copies of my passport which I needed to send to a couple.

One locked away safe sounds a good idea, didn't realise you could get the original recreated if it went AWOL.

I have never let the original out of my sight, and for all my mum's numerous bank accounts I have gone in in person. There are now 2 which don't have branches local to me, and one will accept a certified copy with my certified passport.

It does depend on how much you have to do, if there is only a bank account and utilities then 2 would be enough.

MimoMilo

Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for all the advice. I have found a solicitor who will do copies for £25 each. I am going to the bank tomorrow with the original finance form.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba