Help with incontinence

Tcj

Aug 10, 2022
My mother has been in a residential care home for dementia since February this year.
She has developed incontinence over the past month. The care home provide what I could describe as a giant sanitary towel. Which she just constantly pulls out regardless of whats on it.
We have been providing the pull up pants for her but it is costing a fortune. Is there anyway we can get help with the cost of these.
Any help would be great

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Incontinence service in mostcases on provide 'slips'.
Supply of pull ups is very limited., if at all. You couldask the home whatthe procedure is.

How closely is she supervised?

Red Shoe

Feb 16, 2022
Can you ask the local continence team to come and do an assessment. Our mom has the pull up pants and they are happy to supply a certain amount. I think it’s all to do with local authorities budget but worth a shot ?

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
You should be able to get 4 per day free from the Continence Service but it will probably be the product you describe. Any more than that you will have to purchase on behalf of your mother.
They are best worn with some mesh pants . I don't know if you can get these free,I just purchase a load of them from a local Care Shop.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Tcj welcome to Talking Point. You've received some good advice already but as the incontinence and pad wearing is a recent change for your mother it might be worth speaking to the staff to see what they suggest as they will have had this issue with other residents. A change of pants from what she usually wears to something more supportive might help, and some members here have mentioned using underwear that is of a lycra type, a bit like cycling shorts. I hope you find a solution for your mother, and keep posting as there is a wealth of experience here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justinadmitrijeva