1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Help with ID of a memory test

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Lawson58, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

OH had his checkup with the geriatrician today and there was a change from the usual MMSE that he has always had before.

I've tried identifying it from the Internet and certain parts of the test were similar to elements in the SAGE test but others were different. There was the usual word recall as in the MMSE test but this time it was 5 words and he also had to recall a series of numbers, a vocabulary test for words beginning with letter 'f'. There were the usual date and place questions, copying a geometric shape, but instead of writing a sentence he had to repeat 2 sentences that had an odd structure.

So I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this. It was impossible to ask at the time of testing, partly because OH didn't stop rambling on and on.

Anyway, the geriatrician said that OH was going along OK but I know he has slipped a little in the last few months. Today he asked me how long has my father lived in Australia which was a bit weird. OH never met my father but I am sure that he knew previously that my father was born here, especially as I have spent years doing my family tree. And to me the question also suggested that he thought my father was still living.

In spite of the AD, OH is still reasonably independent and has usually managed to get all his ducks in a row but I think that questions like the ones he asked today are an indication of some progression in his illness.

Would welcome any suggestions or ideas about the test.

Thanks

2. LYN T

LYN T Registered User

Aug 30, 2012
    Brixham Devon
    A while ago I read that the MMSE (as we know it) was being stopped due to copyright. Perhaps a similar test has been devised to sidestep the copyright issue?

Take care

Lyn T XX

3. CynthsDaugh

CynthsDaugh Registered User

May 5, 2015
    Salford, Lancashire
    Hi,

Sounds like the Addenbrookes Cognitive Examination (ACE III) test to me - my Mums has done this 3 times now and sounds very similar.

4. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    Mum has had two of these recently ( sound very similar). I was told when I enquires that 'they've moved on from the old MMSE and this is the Montreal Scale'.

Hope this helps :)

Lindy xx

5. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    My husband just had one very similar this week I didn't ask what they called it, I wasn't really bothered it just showed me that Allen had got a lot worse since his last one 5 years ago,which I already knew,

6. Blogg

Blogg Registered User

Jul 24, 2014
  7. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    #7 jeany123, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  8. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

Thanks everyone,

I checked out the Montreal test and it appears to be the one OH was given this afternoon. They (the medicos) did a validation of the MMSE test and found that it had very poor accuracy rates, being much lower when compared with the Montreal cognitive test.

So I suppose we won't really see the benefit for another 6months when he will next have his test and then we will have something for comparison. I must say that there seems to a lot more depth than in the MMSE.

Cheers!