Help with homes!

Jane1

Mar 3, 2007
Leicestershire
Our situation has escalated somewhat and is now snowballing... In brief, my mum who is dad's main carer who is poorly has now been diagnosed with cancer at the head of the pancreas and on the 22nd May is to undergo major surgery! She is just about coping at home with daily help from my sister and I. This has led us to have to make quick decisions about dads care as the length of time involved and the care we need to give to mum, makes it impossible to look after dad when she goes into hospital. However much we do't like the idea we are now looking at care homes. After looking at 3 today we feel even worse. We live in the east midlands, near junction 24 of the MI. Does anyone know of any 'nice' homes in this area. We will have to fund care ourselves as they go over the thresholds for funding but we just want somewhere dad will be happy as this will be hard enough as it is. He is now in late early to middle stages of alzeimers and this is his worst fear.
Thanks for any advice
Jane

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Jane,

I'd highly recommend using the Elderly Accommodation Care Councel to get a list of suitable care homes. They are great and really responsive. Check out this thread.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Talkin...=5133&highlight=elderly+accommodation+council

You can phone them with your requirements and they will send you a specially made up booklet with homes that suit your needs. They also have a great website for searching for homes. Independent and really helpful!

We do not encourage people to name / recommend care homes directly on this forum, so it is better to ask people to send Private Messages to you if they have a specific recommendation.

I really really wish you the best of luck with this difficult decission. You'll get loads of advice here as many of us have been down this painful path.

Kindest Regards
Craig

Last edited:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Jane,

Another useful site is the Commision for Social Care Inspection (CSCI) which is responsible for inspecting and regulating care services in England.

I did a posting on how to search their data base just a few days ago:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/discuss/showthread.php?p=71173#post71173

Just a few other thoughts - does your father have a social worker? There seems to be a lot of variation regarding people's experiences with social services but I've found them to be pretty responsive, especially when you make it clear that it is an urgent problem.

Many care homes do have waiting lists but when we were looking for homes for my father-in-law we discovered that most kept at least one room free for self-funders (strange, but true).

Have you considered using the services of a care agency to have carers come into your father's home? This can be set up to run 24 hours a day if necessary. The problem is whether he'd accept them in his home or not.

However, your mother might find it easier to recover from her surgery if she had "peace and quiet" (whatever that is) when she got home and if he was in a good care home (they are out there) it would probably be easier for her to recuperate.

Take care,

Sandy

Jane1

Mar 3, 2007
Leicestershire
sorry, got your point on advice with individual care homes! found csci website really useful thanks. Been to see 2 more today, 1 was awful again but the other,by contrast was lovely and somewhere we would be quite happy for dad to stay. Just waiting to hear from the manager about the fee!!!! There is a bit of light, at last......

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Jane,

I`m so pleased you found somewhere you like for your dad. I hope the cost is acceptable.

I also send my best wishes for successful surgery for your mum.

Take care

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi Jane,

Good luck with the home. Do make sure they are clear about fees particulary if you are self funded. Some care homes have quite a different approach to self funded residents and can be open to negotiation. Just don't be frightened to ask for clarity (e.g. notice periods, what is provided etc).

Kind Regards
Craig