1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Help with funeral costs

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by petehend, Jan 9, 2015.

1. petehend

petehend Registered User

Jan 9, 2015
    My brother who had demantia has died recently and his widow can't afford to pay for his funeral.
    She is not entitled to any help from the DWP schemes and I am trying to find other sources of help.
    She is a house owner and it would appear that the bank she has been with for 30 odd years are unable to give her a loan to cover the costs until they have proof of 3 months income.
    Can anyone make any suggestions ?

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    You could see if you can find anything >>>HERE<<<
    The site includes a tool to see whether the applicant is likely to be accepted thus hopefully protecting their credit score from rejections.

3. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
  4. Pickles53

Pickles53 Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Radcliffe on Trent
    The funeral director I used for mum did offer a special simple funeral package which was much less expensive; might be worth asking about this in your local area?

Wouldn't it be fairly simple and quick to provide proof of 3 months income via bank statements?

5. Cloverland

Cloverland Registered User

Jun 9, 2014
    There should be help from DWP in a one off payment of £2000 this is paid automatically to the spouse. There is one condition though - if your brother had a private pension this wont be paid but if there was no private pension the sum should be paid. This should cover the bulk of the funeral costs depending on the fees of course.

6. garnuft

garnuft Registered User

Sep 7, 2012
    I think this is referring to bereavement payments, there are criteria for eligibilty.

I don't think private pensions come into the mix but it seems to me that either the partner or the deceased have to be under state retirement age to claim bereavement payment.
    It is dependant upon National Insurance contibutions paid and that one or other of you are not claiming category A state pension.

Seems more complicated than it is...worth a call to DWP to clarify but it seems the OP's SIL has already applied to DWP.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/engla...s_bereavement_ew/benefits_and_bereavement.htm

7. Cloverland

Cloverland Registered User

Jun 9, 2014
    Although this link is from the direct.gov site, it does state about being under pension age, which is misleading as my dad received this sum when mum died, both were aged over 80, we did not claim it was automatically paid into dads account where his pension was paid. Nothing to do with contributions or savings just straight forward as mum had no private pension that dad would receive from mum he was paid.

https://www.gov.uk/bereavement-payment/eligibility