Help with Funding Residential Care

Dec2017

Dec 19, 2017
I did post this in the Financial forum but only got one reply.. Hence placing it in this forum to see if anyone else can offer suggestions?
My mother-in-law has just been admitted to a residential care home for an interim period until a full assessment is carried out. The local authority have provided details of other homes, but the only two that fall into the authorities funding bracket are too far away for any of her friends and most relatives to get to, meaning that she would be unable to see anyone she knows for long periods of time. The current residential home is great and within very easy commuting distance to the village she lived in. However to get a single room requires a top-up fee, which we cannot afford. Does anyone know of any charities that might be able to assist with this?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Dec2017
welcome to TP
sorry to say that not getting replies rather implies that no-one who has seen your thread can think of how to help
if your in-laws were linked to one of the Services eg navy, or a particular occupation, there may be a charity of theirs that you could approach - or a local trust that helps out people in their eg parish
I don't think there is any charity or fund dedicated to this type of support; it would be pretty busy with applications if there were

you can make a case to the LA that moving your mum to another home would be against her best welfare interests as she has a human right to be in contact with her family and friends, and this could not happen if she were in a home elsewhere, so she would be being deprived of access to her emotional support network

maybe call the AS helpline as the folk there have a lot of knowledge of these issues
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20012/helpline?_ga=2.143062195.721471181.1503062667-213745934.1462100281

Dec2017

Dec 19, 2017
hello @Dec2017
welcome to TP
sorry to say that not getting replies rather implies that no-one who has seen your thread can think of how to help
if your in-laws were linked to one of the Services eg navy, or a particular occupation, there may be a charity of theirs that you could approach - or a local trust that helps out people in their eg parish
I don't think there is any charity or fund dedicated to this type of support; it would be pretty busy with applications if there were

you can make a case to the LA that moving your mum to another home would be against her best welfare interests as she has a human right to be in contact with her family and friends, and this could not happen if she were in a home elsewhere, so she would be being deprived of access to her emotional support network

maybe call the AS helpline as the folk there have a lot of knowledge of these issues

Shedrech
Thanks for your response.. She is a Freeman of York, so I may try them to see if they might be able to assist. Otherwise I see it makes sense in going back to the LA regarding her best interests etc.. Much appreciated,

Dec2017

Dec 19, 2017
Thanks Shedrech.... She is a Freeman of York, so I will contact them to perhaps see if they are able to assist. Your point about her well being is also valid, so I will go back to the LA. Regards

sah

Apr 20, 2009
Dorset
Hi. When I was dealing with this for my husband -I was advised to refer to Article 8 of the European Human Rights Act - the right to a family life. So-if the home they suggest makes it difficult for family members to maintain a relationship, they are not acceptable.

They should only place someone in a shared room if it is suitable for their needs-I certainly can't imagine my OH sharing with anyone! If it isn't suitable for them -they should pay the cost and not insist upon a top up.

LAs saying they have a top limit is not legally binding -they have the legal duty to provide the care necessary. I know, however, that funds are tight so they will hope for all the help that they can get. I would, however, take some advice-Age Concern have a useful fact sheet as well. Good luck!