Help with friend

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
My friend is 58 and has been showing increasing signs of dementia/Alz. Her short term memory is totally non-existent, she went into her car one day and could not remember what to do, and she can't tell the time on a clock with hands etc. She has also lost taste and smell senses. She has been for a cat scan and (she says) it is clear. I'm not sure what I should press for her to get tested on - memory test, memory clinic or what next. I did get her to get her vit b12 levels checked but they came back clear. She has no family and lives on her own and has very few(3) friends. I feel that someone needs to be on her case as living on her own, she needs to get into the system sooner rather than later. And I have no faith in her doctor directing her possible diagnosis/treatment/care. He seems to be dragging his heels over everything.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed? She is currently being treated for anxiety.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If everything is clear is it possible that the anxiety is very severe and causing her some of these problems. I have a friend who has been under extreme personal pressure and her memory is completely shot. You could see if she would be willing to go to the memory clinic but the risk is that it may make her even more anxious.
Can the friends support her for a few weeks whilst the anxiety treatment kicks in?

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
If everything is clear is it possible that the anxiety is very severe and causing her some of these problems. I have a friend who has been under extreme personal pressure and her memory is completely shot. You could see if she would be willing to go to the memory clinic but the risk is that it may make her even more anxious.
Can the friends support her for a few weeks whilst the anxiety treatment kicks in?

She has been treated for anxiety for the past 12 months but she has none of the classic symptoms of anxiety - none of the butterflies, running to the loo, nausea, shaking, anxious thoughts etc etc. I feel the doctor has just been fobbing her off. Esp as the memory loss is so apparent.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
ahhhh well that is worrying. I believe someone suggested on another thread, beginning the search for help at a Well Woman's Clinic.

1mindy

Jul 21, 2015
Shropshire
It seems you need to press on the cat scan. Maybe go to the doctors with her to get the actual diagnosis. Suggest the sooner she gets it sorted if it is alz the sooner she can get treatment to possibly slow the decline.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew