Help with forms please

Feldyguy

Apr 15, 2022
Hi, my step dad has been taken into hospital for an assessment to see if he has dementia. He's been "deprived of liberty" due to his behaviour/language and the Dr has said he is not capable of making any decisions. We've left it too late to get a PoA so are thinking about going down the deputyship route. My 1st question, after reading about this is, is it worth it? Seems very expensive.
The other question is, which forms do I complete? I've had a look at the gov website and it's not clear-to me.

Any help will be much appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Feldyguy and welcome to Talking Point

Without either POA or deputyship no-one has any legal way of dealing with his finances. My mum would not grant POA, so I had to wait until she lost capacity and apply for deputyship. It wasnt until she needed to move to a care home that I was told that she had lost capacity and someone needed to apply for deputyship. The SW said that I could apply for deputyship, but if I didnt want to then Social Services would apply themselves, but it would mean that I would have no say about what happened to mum, her property or her possessions. I applied.
I found the forms quite complex and there is a fair bit of paper shuffling, but doable. People like AgeUK and Citizens Advice will help you with the form filling.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Feldyguy
A warm welcome to DTP

Yes it is worth organising Deputyship as then you have the legal authority to manage your step dad's financial affairs
As canary says some of the local charities may be able to help you ... and it may be that your step dad's low finances may mean the fees are lower, worth asking about

For someone to chat to in real time, maybe call the Support line as the advisors have a lot of knowledge
I

If your step dad has a state pension or is receiving benefits, have a look into Appointeeship too

Feldyguy

Apr 15, 2022
Hi @Feldyguy and welcome to Talking Point

Without either POA or deputyship no-one has any legal way of dealing with his finances. My mum would not grant POA, so I had to wait until she lost capacity and apply for deputyship. It wasnt until she needed to move to a care home that I was told that she had lost capacity and someone needed to apply for deputyship. The SW said that I could apply for deputyship, but if I didnt want to then Social Services would apply themselves, but it would mean that I would have no say about what happened to mum, her property or her possessions. I applied.
I found the forms quite complex and there is a fair bit of paper shuffling, but doable. People