Help with Financial Assessment?

fanster2014

Aug 25, 2014
Dear all,
My MIL has vascular dementia and we are *finally* about to get the council in for the care assessment etc. I am worried that my FIL (with his own quirks and temperament) will be unable to deal with the financial assessment and want to be there to help him with it. Does anyone know what type of documents and things I should prepare or get him to get out ahead of the meeting?
Many thanks in advance for any help!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It will only be MIL finances they will be interested. so sole bank accounts in MIL name plus joint accounts as half of the joint account will be included in the assessment. Nothing that is in your FIL name will be needed.

The assessor will ask the questions and it really is not that bad. They just need to know funds available and if there is any spare money that can be used towards any care that is required. The lady who did my husband's was very kind, helpful and in no way intimidating.

fanster2014

Aug 25, 2014
thanks Jaymor. thats what I thought, but apparently they told FIL on phone that both their finances would be assessed? could this differ between councils?
so we need to get bank account statements, pension payment slips etc out ahead of the meeting?
thanks again!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
FIL funds only relevant insofar as he might have accounts or investments jointly with his wife. In such a case he would produce them but only half would be counted. As Jaymor says if an investment, pension or account is purely in his name it is not counted.

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
Not sure about this at all but worth a mention....

For residential care there is absolutely NO doubt - only the funds of the person needing care are considered.

For help around the home I seem to have some idea that there is consideration of the household income rather than only the person needing care. I can't remember where I got that idea from though ... :(

Does the local council have any guides on their web site? Some council's are good and list what they will and won't provide, costs and what their financial assessment covers - worth a look for your council anyway.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
They will take into account household expenses and these will be deducted from the assets available. It has been a few years since my husband had his assessment and I can't remember but it was probably the expenses of keeping a car on the road or any payments on loans that will not be taken into account as expenses.

Last edited:

WILLIAMR

Account Closed
Apr 12, 2014
For help in the home I don't know if it is different for a married couple but I know of a situation where a father and son were living together in a bungalow owned by the son.
The council tried to give no financial help as it said the son's income was obviously too high as the bungalow was worth about £800,000.
In the end it was agreed that only the father's income could be taken in to account.
There was some argument over the expenses as the council said the bungalow was an unreasonable size for their needs.
I don't think the dispute was ever resolved as the father passed away in a short time.

It may be worth getting advice from Age UK or the Alzheimer's Society help line if the LA says both incomes / savings have to be taken in to account.

William

Silver Bowler

May 8, 2013
Surrey
Use of acronyms

It is very good of professionals to spare the time to help those of us who are struggling to cope with unfamiliar bureaucracy but they should realise that their jargon is not part of the vocabulary of 'the great unwashed'.

It helps us to better understand them if they follow the convention of expanding the acronym the first time it is used in a document. Eg (for example) one might use
FIL (Find Indian Loot). :)

It will only be MIL finances they will be interested. so sole bank accounts in MIL name plus joint accounts as half of the joint account will be included in the assessment. Nothing that is in your FIL name will be needed.

The assessor will ask the questions and it really is not that bad. They just need to know funds available and if there is any spare money that can be used towards any care that is required. The lady who did my husband's was very kind, helpful and in no way intimidating.