1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

    Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

    Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Help with COP 24 form

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Distressed55, Sep 3, 2018.

  1. Distressed55

    Distressed55 Registered User

    May 13, 2018
    Has anyone filled out the COP 24 form? It's the witness statement, and the burble on the form says ' set out in numbered paragraphs indicating which of the statements are from your own knowledge and which are matters of information or belief, and the source of any matters of information or belief'.

    I'm a bit stumped. Does anyone know what that burble means? I am going to run the completed statement by a solicitor before I send it in but I don't really want to pay their fees for them completing it for me...

  2. Grannie G

    Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

    Apr 3, 2006
  3. canary

    canary Registered User

    Feb 25, 2014
    South coast
    I didnt fill in this particular form when I applied for deputyship @Distressed55 but I have had to contact the Office of Public Guardians a few times for clarification and problems and I always found them very helpful - their phone number is
    0300 456 0300
  4. Distressed55

    Distressed55 Registered User

    May 13, 2018
    Thank you both Grannie G and Canary.

    Just one more hurdle in trying to protect the interests of a PWD!
  5. Lemondrizzle

    Lemondrizzle New member

    Aug 26, 2018
    I have just had a look at the form and I would complete it as follows (examples only fit to your own circumstances):-

    1. I believe the person lacks capacity to conduct their own affairs - this belief is confirmed by a letter from her psychiatrist Dr .......... to her GP Dr .............. dated ................ That letter appears as Exhibit A

    2. The person lacks capacity to manage their own financial affairs. This is from my own knowledge as he/she no longer recognises financial documents, the appearance and value of money and the need to pay bills.

    3. The person lacks capacity to care for themselves on a daily basis - this is from my own knowledge; he/she lacks basic hygiene without assistance and does not remember how to eat unless prompted.

    For the most part you will likely be relying on your own knowledge. A professional completing the form would have to do it all on the basis of "belief" unless they know the person lacking capacity well. You need to put as many examples of evidence of the lack of capacity as you have to firm up the application.
  6. fortune

    fortune Registered User

    Sep 12, 2014
    I've done a COP 24 twice, and they seemed happy with what I did, which was quite simple. EG:

    1) My name is xxx. I am carer and hold lasting power of attorney (property and finance) for my mother Mrs XXX. The LPA was set up in 20XX.
    I refer to exhibit A certified copy of the power of attorney and copy of registration.

    2) I have cared for my mother since 2013. Mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia in 20XX and further diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 20XX. My mother was assessed by her GP to have lost capacity to manage her finances in early 20XX. At this time I took over management of my mother's financial affairs in partnership with Mr XXX who is the other attorney. (Own knowledge).
    I refer to exhibit B letter from GP Dr XXX.

    On each exhibit I stapled a slip with the relevant letter eg A or B etc and also the case number.

    Good luck with COP, I found it a complete bureaucratic nightmare that took forever and they are extremely slow to respond. The telephone helpline was useful for basic questions though and usually answered fairly promptly. I didn't use a solicitor as I felt spending £400 of mum's money just to apply was bad enough. Still waiting for the outcome after 4 months.
  7. Distressed55

    Distressed55 Registered User

    May 13, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the help. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

    Things are never easy, are they? Even trying to protect a PWD.......
  8. Sandy2

    Sandy2 New member

    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi what is a cop just applied for power of attorney is that not enough and pwd that’s is mentioned help?
  9. nitram

    nitram Registered User

    Apr 6, 2011
    North Manchester
    A lasting power of attorney (LPA) is enough.

    If a person has lost capacity they can't grant an LPA and a Court of Protection (COP) deputyship has to be applied for.

Share This Page