Help us bake a difference - what's your favourite flavour?

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Cupcake Day is back on June 13th!

This year our media team want to bring the event closer to the people that we are trying to support, and get input directly from those affected by dementia.

From Battenberg and Treacle Toffee to Parma Violets and Lemon Meringue Pie, Alzheimer’s Society is celebrating the occasion by talking to people affected by dementia about their favourite sweet flavours and cakes from the past, and they might just be recreated into cupcakes!

Would you like to share a memory of your favourite flavour? Or perhaps you want to tell us about what flavours remind you of your loved ones?

Share your favourite flavours and reminisce below :)

photo-1547418113-4c227895e19f

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I can't think of my nan without tastes and scents coming to mind, her apple pie (of course) and the blackcurrant licourice sweets she always seemed to have in her pockets (along with a cotton hanky around which she'd crotched a 'lace' trim) ... the oblong shaped ones with sugarcandy coat but blackcurrant syrup/jell inside ... a cupcake with blackcurrant couli inside would be lovely

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband’s favourites were liquorice Allsorts and Brazil nut toffee. Our daughter and son always saw that his toffee pot was topped up weekly and that pot still stands on the table by his chair. Ginger cupcakes would get my vote.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
When I was small my mum used to bake. Every week she'd make jam tarts, scones and lemon curds. But the thing that intrigued me most was when she made lemon meringue pie.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
My Mum made the best chocolate cake ever, with heavenly,gloopy chocolate frosting and cherries on top. Perfection! Mum's other creation was a yummy sponge with white icing and cherries. She wanted a name for it, so my Dad nicknamed it 'ker- bloo- den' which evidently was an army term for 'thingummyjig'.
Mum's kerblooden cake was renowned - we all laughed when a friend asked if kerblooden cake was spelled with a c or a k, as they had looked in all their recipe books and couldn't find it anywhere!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
My old time favourite, and the only one I now bake is rockcakes, dead easy to make.
IMG_0142-1.jpg

Making them as cupcakes would not work, the whole of the surface needs to be crunchy.

SophieD

Mar 21, 2018
London
Great suggestions attached to wonderful memories! Thank you so much to those who have shared so far.

Would you like to share a memory of your favourite flavour? What flavours remind you of your loved ones?

SKD

I don't like chocolate very much but my Mum's coffee cake which she produced for each birthday until I was in my 20s and then whenever I went home was renowned amongst friends who had been lucky enough to taste it - moist and covered with coffee butter cream it was wonderful.

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Mum was a great baker. However, not a success with custard or baked rice pud. Memories of cold lumpy chocolate custard with a cherry on top for a pud. Or dry rice pud and sultanas! ! Eeew. ....still can't eat the stuff.

She used to make a wonderful steamed syrup sponge pud. Had it with milk not custard or cream..... too heavy. One year on my birthday in June she made it for me. Boiling hot day, didn't matter it was fantastic. also a great coffee sponge With butter cream. . Happy day's.

Syrup sponge cupcake? ?or coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA