help urgently needed on the rules on dementia homes

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
The hospital never did admit they were wrong, they still maintain it would have been illegal. But they re-did his assessment with the social worker, and changed his primary need from mental to physical. They said his needs had changed since last week's assessment! Ticks in boxes were all they cared about.

We have not re-raised the issue on continuing care but will when we get dad safely settled. We have still not received the letter saying he can't have it, so it is difficult to appeal. We don't want to jeopardise the move today. I still think he should be eligible since one of the main criteria is that the patient is a danger to themselves or others, and that was their objection to us moving him to a non-dementia home. Maybe winning one argument will have lost us the other !

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
The hospital never did admit they were wrong,

They very rarely do, Jean. They're so terrified of compensation claims, they all deny everything.

But they re-did his assessment with the social worker, and changed his primary need from mental to physical. They said his needs had changed since last week's assessment! Ticks in boxes were all they cared about.

Absolutely! That sounds like a perfect fudge to me!

Maybe winning one argument will have lost us the other !

I think that may be a possibility!:(

But you're right to wait until your dad's settled before starting another fight, you all need a period of tranquillity until he's settled.

I hope the move goes well, let us know.

Love,

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
Good news !

Hi Everyone,

dad is safely installed in his new home. He has a single room, and is propped up in bed listening to home made CD's of all his favourite songs, which one of my sisters made for him. He ate a teaspoon of soup and half a bowl of ice cream for his tea, so the move can't have upset him too badly.

The first thing they did when he arrived is washed him properly, and he looks more comfortable than he has for ages. He is tired now, but that's fine. There were some very noisy patients in the hospital so he has not had a peaceful night for ages.

The staff at the home are lovely and best of all, we can visit any time (within reason). He is right in the middle of town, so some of his elderly friends and relations will be able to get there by bus too.

They have promised him a bath tomorrow. He loves to be in the bath, and always sings ! I know he is still a very poorly man, but it is lovely to see him comfortable.

Jean

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jean, that is such wonderful news. I bet your mum and you are over the moon tonight.:)

I'm sure you'll find it easier and more comfortable visiting your dad now. I go in to feed John at lunch and teati me, he sleeps the rest of the time. The staff are lovely, and treat me as one of them. I'm sure you'll soon feel the same.

Having his own room will help too, you'll be able to have quiet times, play music or watch TV with him.

You've had a lot of hassle, but it's all worked out in the end.

Love,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Jean

You`ve had a very traumatic time and it must be such a relief for you to see your father being cared for properly.
I hope you sleep well tonight.
Love xx