Help - urgent please - Recommendations for incontinence pull ups for women.

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
My elderly Mum, 87 and very slow on her walking frame, just diagnosed with Alzheimers Dementia, middle stage, is going to a hospital appointment week after next.

Occasionally, Mum is bowel incontinent - can someone please recommend a good and really dependable brand of pull on incontinence pants for her - but must be for bowel rather than just urine incontinence, so that both she and I do not have to worry about her having an 'accident' while she is away from home.

Is UK Age Concern the best website to order from? Do I need to order the size of her hip measurement? She is a 42 inch hip which seems borderline between medium and large.

Hoping to get supplies from NHS soon once I can organise it. Any recommendations greatly appreciated, as I need to order ASAP.

Many thanks for any answers. :)

Last edited:

Debjac

Mar 23, 2017
NHS won't supply pull ups for day time I resorted to buying on Amazon brand called depend have worked well for my mum xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
NHS won't supply pull ups for day time I resorted to buying on Amazon brand called depend have worked well for my mum xxx

Thanks for your reply and recommendation, Debjac.... I thought they did provide for people with dementia - to encourage independency? Mum could never manage pads, she'd been putting them down the loo! :)

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I thought it was waist measurement needed. before we got a prescription for mum, I found Depend or Tena pull ups to be the best fit. Design wise, there is no difference between bladder or bowel incontinence, but what I do for mum, especially when we go out, is to put a pad inside the pull ups. The pads we use are Boots own brand Staydry maxi plus. So if mum has an accident I can easily remove the pad and she is still wearing the pull ups.

I now have a small bag in my car that contains all I need - fortunately not had to use any of this as the pad inside the pants works really well for us.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
" I thought they did provide for people with dementia - to encourage independency?"

That was true in my area, whether or not the person had dementia, they had to be able to put them on and take then off unaided, plus do any necessary clean up.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

That's a very general statement. Depending on where you live, of course they do, but not enough, as they are expensive. We get 2 Tena pull-ups per day through the NHS, but the absorbency is only Normal, so I buy in Super and Maxi to supplement. They need to sit snugly, so if she is borderline, I would probably go for the medium ones, but you can always ask for a free samples first.

Debjac

Mar 23, 2017
My mum has absolutely no idea what she is doing with the pads these days she is late stage altzheimers we were given sticky pads to put in her own underwear for daytime you have no idea where done ended being stuck [emoji38] I created quite a lot now they are giving her large pads with her knickers which is ok but if not supervised she will have them on then put pull ups on top and then a couple of pairs of own pants on top of that we have a game of guess how many layers most days

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It would be an idea to get your mum referred to the local continence clinic or continence nurse. This would be done through her GP. She would be assessed for the best product for her. As others have said, of course, your local service might not provide pull ups. I had to go through trying various other products with my husband before we were given pull ups. They were only of use for a short time before we had to move on to other types of product. Also, as others have said, it's not likely you would be given enough by the continence service. I ordered extras through the Tena site or through Amazon. I did feel that the process of being seen at the continence clinic was helpful.

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
I thought it was waist measurement needed. before we got a prescription for mum, I found Depend or Tena pull ups to be the best fit. Design wise, there is no difference between bladder or bowel incontinence, but what I do for mum, especially when we go out, is to put a pad inside the pull ups. The pads we use are Boots own brand Staydry maxi plus. So if mum has an accident I can easily remove the pad and she is still wearing the pull ups.

I now have a small bag in my car that contains all I need - fortunately not had to use any of this as the pad inside the pants works really well for us.

Thank you, that's really useful advice, I will try doing that.

Re. sizing, I read on, I think, the Age UK Incontinence website, look at waist/hip measurement and use the largest which in Mum's case is her hips.

:)

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
" I thought they did provide for people with dementia - to encourage independency?"

That was true in my area, whether or not the person had dementia, they had to be able to put them on and take then off unaided, plus do any necessary clean up.

I think Mum could just about manage that.

Last edited:

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
That's a very general statement. Depending on where you live, of course they do, but not enough, as they are expensive. We get 2 Tena pull-ups per day through the NHS, but the absorbency is only Normal, so I buy in Super and Maxi to supplement. They need to sit snugly, so if she is borderline, I would probably go for the medium ones, but you can always ask for a free samples first.

Thank you. 2 would probably do for Mum at the moment, it's not all the time. Mostly when she can't get to the loo in time. Thanks for tip re size too. :)

Last edited:

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
It would be an idea to get your mum referred to the local continence clinic or continence nurse. This would be done through her GP. She would be assessed for the best product for her. As others have said, of course, your local service might not provide pull ups. I had to go through trying various other products with my husband before we were given pull ups. They were only of use for a short time before we had to move on to other types of product. Also, as others have said, it's not likely you would be given enough by the continence service. I ordered extras through the Tena site or through Amazon. I did feel that the process of being seen at the continence clinic was helpful.

Thanks very much for your reply Izzy. I plan to try to arrange for a continence nurse for Mum after Monday... I've only just home yesterday from staying with her for three days during which I was able to see for myself what was happening with her toileting. Its when she gets up in the morning mostly and she can't get there in time, I think for the rest of the day mostly she manages OK. also the memory team worker came on Friday for the second part of the dementia assessment, she said it's Alzheimers and that Mum is in the middle stages.

All this is new for me, it's taking ages to find out about everything.

Last edited:

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK

We get pull ups only two a day, absorbency not great, so like you I buy something better for night time, still not found the right one yet, have requested a sample from Tena, but have to wait 3 weeks for this. Recently bought some 'wrap rounds- difficult to put on without mum's help and she of course gets very confused, plus the sticky bits are not that great.

Last weekend I sat for hours with my laptop trying to find the best for mum, got so confused, just ended up going back to Boots to buy what I needed. The pad inside the pull up works well for us, but have to remember not to pull off the 'sticky back' bit!

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
my mum has absolutely no idea what she is doing with the pads these days she is late stage altzheimers we were given sticky pads to put in her own underwear for daytime you have no idea where done ended being stuck [emoji38] i created quite a lot now they are giving her large pads with her knickers which is ok but if not supervised she will have them on then put pull ups on top and then a couple of pairs of own pants on top of that we have a game of guess how many layers most days

sent from my iphone using talking point[/qu

:D :D

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
We get pull ups only two a day, absorbency not great, so like you I buy something better for night time, still not found the right one yet, have requested a sample from Tena, but have to wait 3 weeks for this. Recently bought some 'wrap rounds- difficult to put on without mum's help and she of course gets very confused, plus the sticky bits are not that great.

Last weekend I sat for hours with my laptop trying to find the best for mum, got so confused, just ended up going back to Boots to buy what I needed. The pad inside the pull up works well for us, but have to remember not to pull off the 'sticky back' bit!

That's how I've spent most of today :)

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
We got nothing from NHS, think it all depends on where you live. Ended up ordering online from the oddly named "Incontinence Choice". They were the cheapest we could find but it was about 4 years ago.

Adnil

Jan 17, 2017
We got nothing from NHS, think it all depends on where you live. Ended up ordering online from the oddly named "Incontinence Choice". They were the cheapest we could find but it was about 4 years ago.

Thanks Peggy. :)

spbeagle

Oct 20, 2016
My elderly Mum, 87 and very slow on her walking frame, just diagnosed with Alzheimers Dementia, middle stage, is going to a hospital appointment week after next.

Occasionally, Mum is bowel incontinent - can someone please recommend a good and really dependable brand of pull on incontinence pants for her - but must be for bowel rather than just urine incontinence, so that both she and I do not have to worry about her having an 'accident' while she is away from home.

Is UK Age Concern the best website to order from? Do I need to order the size of her hip measurement? She is a 42 inch hip which seems borderline between medium and large.

Hoping to get supplies from NHS soon once I can organise it. Any recommendations greatly appreciated, as I need to order ASAP.

Many thanks for any answers. :)

Boots Staydry pull ups work for my Mum who has bowel problems.

Rosnpton

Mar 19, 2017
Northants
Hi
Our local incontinence clinic gave us pull ups but only 2 a day and 1 overnight- no where near enough.
I bought same brand as was prescribed -doubled what they thought she would need,which men at always ahd about 10days supplies in at anytime.
I kept the dementia equivalent of a nappy change bag in my car- some scented bin bags or nappy bags,couple of pull up, couple of pads and few pairs of disposable gloves and wet wipes. Also,couple of pairs normal knickers.
We managed with pull ups during day most of the time, and pull ups + liner and a bed liner at night.
Now in ch they use pads inside knickers but residents are taken to toilet every 2 hours .
Still have packed bag in car for when called to a+e etc ,outings

Do buy disposable gloves to use,scented bin liners etc,as however quickly you change-dispose of a soiled pad,they can small,especially if your council only do the bins every two weeks. I used to seal every pad in a nappy bag if just wet,and the stronger slightly larger scented bathroom bin bag if soiled,and throw straight away.means a lot of bags,but was only way to keep the house smelling fresh-also, when her carers just changed mum and left pad I a bag in bathroom-presumably thinking would put more in the bag,she unpacked them.
Good luck
Ros

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi adnil . At the time my mum became incontinent ( 3 years ago) , the continence service from the GP did not provide pull ups so I went in search of my own . I tried and tested a lot of brands and now buy depends with an insert from attends contour which has been a great addition . Most of the time it's just a change of insert which saves time and effort taking trousers off etc if having to change the pull up . Overnight my mum wears a wrap around style from Tena . I get all of these pads from a company called incontinence choice ( I hope I haven't offended by mentioning company but I have noticed others have mentioned them ) . I buy in bulk which saves money . I also buy baby wipes , small disposal bags and gloves. My local council also gave me a second wheelie bin to dispose of incontinence products . Hope you get something suitable for your mum . Best wishes , Lou