help to understand

at40

Mar 14, 2014
co tyrone
hi all, im new to this so I will probably make a few mistakes. My mum has dementia and my family and I look after her,we stay with her at night, she has started day centre 1 day a week 3 weeks ago, but this past 3 weeks has been v hard, she goes over to the neighbours about 10 times a day. I feel so sorry for them n don't know how to cope, I work 4 days a week n have a young family but I cant help worrying about what she is up to when im not wth her, I call in every day and take her up to my house most days for few hours to relieve the boredom for her, but cant switch off when she is on her own.:(

angelface

Oct 8, 2011
london
What a hard situation! Can you get her checked out by the GP in case an infection is making her worse recently?

bilslin

Jan 17, 2014
hertforshire
Hi at40 and welcome to TP. You'll find lots of help and advice on here so you've come to right place. Does your mum have any think else in place there an org. That can come in to your mum and visit that are called crossroads. If you get someone from Alzheimer's to visit you they can refer your mum. Also age concern do a lot. Is there a 10-3 club in your area that your mum can go to. Or maybe more day centre if she enjoys it. At least you know they are safe when they are there. Are you getting enough care coming in. Good luck lindaxx

at40

Mar 14, 2014
co tyrone
I still feel im new to this and not using it to my best advantage, im so usless wth comp etc!! Im on to ask advice about medication, my mum is not sleeping at night, she goes to bed at 11 but gets up at 12 we give her her temazapam 20mg then, sometimes it eorks for 5hrs n then most times she can b up every half hour, fully dressed ready for church! She can pull the bed around the room, wash herself 5 times etc, dizapam doesnt help at this stage its as if her brain wont switch off! Then the nxt day she is like a zombie, staggering more confused than normal. Pls any advice cause we work n meed some sleep

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I still feel im new to this and not using it to my best advantage, im so usless wth comp etc!! Im on to ask advice about medication, my mum is not sleeping at night, she goes to bed at 11 but gets up at 12 we give her her temazapam 20mg then, sometimes it eorks for 5hrs n then most times she can b up every half hour, fully dressed ready for church! She can pull the bed around the room, wash herself 5 times etc, dizapam doesnt help at this stage its as if her brain wont switch off! Then the nxt day she is like a zombie, staggering more confused than normal. Pls any advice cause we work n meed some sleep

That is a real problem and one I experienced for months with my husband. I think the GP has to try different medications to see what works. For John at present it is Zopiclone and Trazodone at night which gives a full nights sleep and no obvious side effects next day.

If you cannot get it sorted you might have to seek to put her in respite for a few weeks while she adjusts to medication.

at40

Mar 14, 2014
co tyrone
Thank u for replying, we tried zopiclone but found this made mum more aggiated, now on temazapam 20mg n trazadone 150mg bot not working , someone recommended repirodone any thoughts?