help to pay nursing home fees


Registered User
Jul 4, 2004

wonder if anyone can advise me about nursing home fees.

My mum in law has her name down with the social services for a place in one of their nursing homes but what happens if when the time comes we want her to go to a better home which is classed as private and the fees are in the region of over £600 as opposed to £350. She has no money of her own to pay towards so is there any other way we can get the funding or do social services fund it? I have spoken to a nursing home that has been reccomended to me by a friend in the same position and my friend says something about government funding paying the fees but says if we were to accept a place in the social service home we would not then be able to change her if we decided we did not like the home. As a newcomer to all this i find it very confusing and wondered if anyone can point me in the right direction.



Registered User
Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Dear Janice, from what happened in our case, I was told that if I decided to put Mum into a home that cost more than the amount set by SS etc. I would have to pay the difference or remove her. I found a home that was similar in price, (£50 more), to that offered by SS. Mum never got to go there, as I managed to cope at home, but, in the last few months, their fees have soared by over a hundred pounds a week! We Would not have been able to cover that for long. I have no idea if the SS one has done likewise. I hope you are never faced with this decision, but if you have to, think carefully, as a move after they are settled could be very upsetting all round. Love, She. XX