help support

no one cares

Apr 2, 2021
my friend of 30years was diagnosed with vascular dementia several years ago when in his late 50s he was told that the medicalprofesion knew little about dementia in such young age groups since his diagnose he has been left to cope with this on his own without any help and support for both of us i now care for john has his condition worsens yet still our pleas for help and advice go unheard his gp does nt want to know orhelp his hospitial consultant has now gone over a year without any contact at all its like saying you have to get on with it your self has someone who sees john 24 hours a day most days i feel i am in a postion to offer information on his well being john is a very difficult to assit with him still very independently minded i do my best but with several disablities find it difficult and no respite i have been asked what help and advice i might need but never been in this postion before i have little or no idea we both know time is not on his side the last 12 months have been hell i would be very gratful if any one taking time to read this can offer any help or advice

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @no one cares and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very supportive place and you'll get lots of support here, as well as a listening ear.
A good place to start would be with the Dementia Connect support line on 0333 150 3456 and at dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk. You could talk through your exact situation with them and they should be able to point you in the right direction for getting more help for John and support for you.
Does anyone have Lasting Power of Attorney for John? I wonder if you need to talk to his family if he has one about this. Having LPA makes sorting out finances and health and welfare issues easier, but this may not be something you feel like taking on. You could also contact your local social services about a needs assessment for John and a carers assessment for you.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with more suggestions, but please keep posting. In the meantime the search bar at the top is a useful place for finding threads on similar topics that you might find of use to you.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @no one cares
It can feel very lonely caring for someone with dementia. I see that @Sarasa has already given some good advice. Keep posting with anything in particular you feel you need help with and to let us know how things are going. There are lots of us out here who understand and who do care, and will help you along.