Help required from willing participants

witchkat35

Jan 17, 2008
hertford
Hi i'm new here at the forum i am requiring some help from families of parents/partners living with dementia who are willing to tell me their personal accounts of support from diagnosis of dementia and decisions that have been made by yourselves.
Please let me explain, I am currently studying a year long dementia course I am a unit manager in a residential home, I am responsible for our dementia unit and have 16 residents living with dementia.
My assignment is to work with families to understand the feelings and emotions they felt from diagnosis, decision making, support ( if any ) how you went about any decisions made, I have personal experience as both my grandparents lived with dementia one was cared for at home and the surviving spouse ended in a care environment ,I lived with my fathers decisions and accounts of support he and his brother had (none), I would like to set up a family support group at our home but am unsure of the response as it is such a delicate personal thing you are all living with.
I would be grateful for ideas, accounts feelings and emotions but I am most certainly understand if i have no response as it is such a huge thing I am asking of you.

Many thanks for reading this
Witchkat35

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
Our support from the Social Services and the Hospital was non-existent.
The staff at the Care Home and Nursing Home were caring and supportive.
The family GP was useless and didn't seem to know anything about Vascular Dementia.
Talking Point is the only place where I have had any useful information and help.

Kayla

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Willing to help

Hi
My husband has Parkinsons, has had for 12 plus years that we know of. And now, dementia, Lewy bodies ? they do not know. I do not think it is Lewy bodies. And there is no test for either
Please contact me via private message, if you wish to talk.
Barb

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi witchkat

My husband has had PPA for seven and a half years. He was doing well until lasy=t August, when a severe UTI knocked him for six. He's now in the EMI section od a care home.

You can PM me too if my story is of interest.

snooky

May 12, 2007
devon
Hi,
My Dad has had AD for about 7 years now and is quite poorly at the moment. Again, I would be happy to help, if you want to pm me no problem.
Snooky