1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Help re mobile phone

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by maryjoan, Nov 14, 2019.

1. maryjoan

maryjoan Registered User

Mar 25, 2017
    Female
    South of the Border
    My partner (PWD) has been locked out of his mobile phone. I think it is because he has not paid the bill.
    I have contacted 02 and explained the problem - but I cannot pass their security, as I never knew what it was - it was set up years ago. But OH cannot remember what is was due to his dementia.
    02 will not speak to me now, and OH doesn't understand what its all about

Yet, we need him to have a working mobile so he can contact me if he is out and needs help.

what do I do?

2. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Do you have power of attorney for OH? I was wondering if the company would accept a copy of the POA and perhaps close the account and open one in your name. Thinking back I believe that’s what I had to do with BT, although it took me quite a while.

3. PlanetERF

PlanetERF New member

Nov 14, 2019
    Is there an O2 shop in your area where you could go in to speak with someone face to face?

4. LynneMcV

LynneMcV Volunteer Moderator

May 9, 2012
    south-east London
    My experience was the same as @Izzy's in that I had to send my husband's mobile phone company a copy of my POA before they would deal with me about his account. Fortunately, they accepted a copy as a pdf attached to email - but even so, it wasn't a speedy process.

5. silver'lantern

silver'lantern Registered User

Apr 23, 2019
    Female
    easiest way i think would be to get a new pay as you go sim for his phone. if you dont have access to the account an no outstanding bill then leave it closed
    my PwD has a DORO phone that has a quick dial alarm button. one press and it dials the pre set number any PAYG sim will fit we have giffgaff and direct debit set up to auto top up if below certain level. so he never runs out of credit. he rarely uses it himself but handy for me to check where he is. and gives him the confidence to wander off in town or go out occasionally on his own

6. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #6 nitram, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    If you don't have LPA
    Agree with @silver'lantern.
    Set up a PAYG or contract with A N Other provider
    Do it in your name - maybe problems with bank account with contract - so you are in control.
    To retain the phone number try the generic text PAC to 65075.
    O2 may block this in which case stick with the new number.

If you do have LPA tell O2 and get it sorted.
    See if you can get account registered in joint names, easier than reverting to LPA in future.

7. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
    I agree with nitram. If the account is closed and paid up just get PAYG. It’s probably cheaper if he doesn’t use the phone much.

8. PalSal

PalSal Registered User

My husband used to wear a product that is a Tractive gps and it tracks on my telephone.(costs about 35 CHF and 15 Chf a year for the app) It is actually for pets.
    But he never goes out alone now so it is not an issue anymore. But this worked for awhile., it is an inexpensive solution.
    My hubby got to the point like yours , he could not remember passwords, and eventually how to use his phone. So this was a good solution

Mine is not a wanderer because I make sure he gets strenuous exercise and is never alone. Good luck.

9. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    I use pennymobile, the cost is 1p per minute or 1p per text. one has to put £10 min. every four months. I am well in credit. May be easier than having to top up and perhaps forgetting.
    Good luck with getting access.
    I was amused when cashing a small investment, they needed to speak to my husband, they asked a question, he asked me what to say, he said it and job done!!! They obviously heard the weird conversation.

10. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Never worked for me when giving my husband's insurance company our change of address. They said they could hear me prompting him and refused to accept it. The funny thing was I just typed out a letter and got him to sign it which was almost illegible. ( you'd never know it was his signature.) They accepted that.

11. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    I might have been lucky, it was a small amount in their eyes perhaps, I like your photo. X

12. jenniferjean

jenniferjean Registered User

Apr 2, 2016
    Female
    Basingstoke, Hampshire
    Ah bless you, what a lovely thing to say. (I'm hoping it was me you meant).

13. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    It was! X

14. Roseleigh

Roseleigh Registered User

Dec 26, 2016
    Mine also has a Doro which at first he used himself, then me to track him if he was late getting back, though after the occasion when he came home but went straight past our house wandered on further and got lost (I used the Doro to find him) I decided he was no longer safe to go on solo outings. The Doro sits there unused now and I am thinking of passing it to my aged mum whose poor eyesight is making using a normal simple phone tricky for her.

15. Lawson58

Lawson58 Registered User

All I can say is that it's not a good idea to spend a lot of money on a device because you might find that the time will come when he can't use a phone at all. My husband had his new phone all of two months then got very confused about how to use it.