Help? (posted by ksmith)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Now I hasten to point out that what I'm about to say may not apply to your grandfather but: it may not be anything "mechanical" that is affecting his ability to eat or to see, but simply another stage in the dementia. Obviously teeth problems could be the reason, but many people get to a point where they simply forget how to chew, and when the eyes themselves can be functionally perfect but the messages don't get processed properly. This may not be the case here, but it is possible.

If there are issues with his swallowing he should be seen by a speech and language therapists: strangely these are the people who deal with swallowing issues.

Ksmith

Sep 24, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Nanny

Can I just moan ONCE AGAIN.... Having spoken to my dad a short while ago on the phone we have been advised that my nanny (Grandad's wife who is currently in hospital as mentioned on my earlier post) is now suspected of suffering earlyish signs of dementia herself as is showing short term memory loss and an obsession with where her money/purse etc is she accussed the staff at the hospital of stealing her bag yesterday ... we hunted and easily found it in the cabinet next to her bed when we said 'its here' she said 'i know its there I said I couldn't get it out not that I couldn't find it...' she didn't say that but we did not argue the point but whilst these symptoms may be more relative to her recent strokes/parkinsons and/or medication perhaps? The consultant suggests she may also have dementia ... is it possible both husband and wife have dementia? If so I am wholly concerned my dad will panic and think he is destined to also develop this dreadful condition does anyone have any advice/suggestion?

Ksmith

Sep 24, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Thanks

Thanks to both those who just replied to me - the photo lovely suggestion we actually put several photos of him in his room in full view (a big one of him at my aunt (his daughters wedding) about 10 years or so ago and he looks so handsome and happy in it.... god I am so sad.
And we also put photos of his grandchildren in there for the very reminder that he does have a large number of people who love him so thank u for your suggestion.

As for the other comment re: mechanical issues I do understand it may be another stage of this nightmare I just want to make sure we have not missed anything he stll swallows fine (I did enquire in depth) the carer said he is finding it more difficult to chew solid food so they are making it more easy for him and less struggle and they said he still enjoys his meals and eats well on puree and that he enjoys his cups of tea. I just hate taking other peoples words for it after all he is not their grandad is he and yet I can't be there every minute of every day to check. Thanks for your thoughts greatly appreciated.

I am going to bed now as exhausted with thoughts but thanks to all for support and kindness xxx

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
Dear Christine.,you brought tears to my eyes.Your situation echoes mum and dads to a point.You have given such advice that i am appreciative of on TP.got to go now the tears are a flowing.love elainex