Help please

Natalie81

Jul 29, 2015
Hi,
My nan is in the later stages of dementia, well its my nan in law but i class her as my nan.
My mother in law is so distressed at seeing her as she is and this morning she looked like she had, had a stroke. The drs just said ring 999, but she has been in and out of hospital the last few weeks and they have told us they cannot do anything for her and its just end of life symptoms. We feel stuck with no-one to turn too.
With cancer you have macmillan nurses at this stage, what is there for dementia, can anyone point me in tbe right direction.
Poor nan is unaware of any of this, but us as a family are frustrated and done in as you can imagine

Thanks for listening

Natalie xx

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I think this is a very difficult question to answer or offer help with but as no one else has tried yet I am going to give it a go.

If there are symptoms of a stroke then it would be right to ring 999, there would be little the GP could do.

If she has been in hospital frequently have they organised care for her on her discharge, such as district nurses? This should most definitely have happened before she was sent home. Has anyone suggested a nursing home so that her needs can be met?

I think the important thing is that you get her to hospital and take it from there. Don't let her be sent home again without a plan as to how she can be properly cared for.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
The drs just said ring 999, but she has been in and out of hospital the last few weeks and they have told us they cannot do anything for her and its just end of life symptoms. We feel stuck with no-one to turn too.
Hello Natalie and welcome to TP I'm sad you have had to find us.
Even if Nan has been in and out of the hospital like a yoyo, she is still entitled to care and attention from the NHS. If you or your Mum think that Nan has had a stroke then yes you should ring 999 for an ambulance. If, by tomorrow your Nan is still showing signs, then phone her GP and ask for a home visit. tell them that its for an elderly lady with Dementia who may possibly have had a stroke two days ago.
You can ring the Macmillan Nurses or the Admiral Nurses ( if you have them in your area). You can even phone your local hospice for advice, they are not just there for Cancer.....and you can come here too, people will always offer friendly words and advice.
Keep posting, Maureen.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Marie Curie nurses offer palliative care but you will need to have a referral from your nan's GP - so have a chat with him/her even if s/he is not able to talk to you about your nan's condition will have to take note of your comments - and contact Marie Curie as they may be able to offer advice