Help please

Samantha 86

Jun 5, 2015
Hello I'm really new to all of this and I don't know where to start so please forgive me if I break any rules or ask questions that have been asked a million times before I just don't know where I'm at or who to turn to next
Here goes
My great uncle (mams uncle) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 9-12 months ago. His sister (my nana) died which has left my mam as his next of kin. We are having huge issues with the care he is receiving or should I say lack of (in our opinion) he is paying a private healthcare company a small fortune for what is supposed to be an hours worth of care on a morning and an afternoon it would appear within this hour the care company are supposed to be doing domestic jobs and ensuring he takes his medication his home looks like no domestic work has been carried out no washing done or anything (unsure if washing of clothes is part of the domestic agreement as the private care plan was put together without anyone other family member but my great uncle who is so confused it's unreal) my first question what should I expect from this company in relation to what it states in his contract?
2nd thing my uncle has fallen and ended up being admitted to hospital unbeknown to his family apart from a call from the hospital explaining he had been admitted early hours 1 morning. This is the 3rd time he has been admitted due to falling and hurting himself I am so worried that something serious is going to happen to him. How do we go about getting him the care he needs which is So much more than what he is getting now?
3rd what support plan should he have in place who should we be able to contact to ensure he is safe who do we go to to express our concerns will he have a social worker or support worker what is the likelihood of him being placed into a care home (which is whet as a family we feel he would be safest)?
We as a family feel so in the dark and feel he is at risk of harming himself and others yet we don't know who to turn to for help and advice.
Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for any help or advice

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England
Welcome to the forum, Samantha.

I have had some small dealings with a private personal care company, and in the documentation they make it quite clear they are not a cleaning agency.

I really don't think it's a matter of their being too grand to get their hands dirty, they do, it's just that they provide nursing or personal care only - a different sort of dirt. With drug resistant bugs being such an issue, and bugs in general of course, they need to be scrupulous about the non-transfer of organisms between patients.

There are some very good personal care providers, and some not so good, with resentful staff on the minimum wage and zero-hours contracts. I doubt if your uncle is able to negotiate the very best deals, however, someone must help him.

For cleaning, there are such franchises as Merry Maids and Molly Maids and others, you might google them for your area.

Others here will know more about social workers. How you approach them will vary according to your great uncle's financial circumstances.

You may get good advice from local and national charities. The Alzheimer's Society has a very useful dementia helpline, but they are not so hot on financial matters. Local charities, or local branches of larger charities can also provide advice more specific to your great uncle's needs.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Fred has said all I would say, but if you are worried about his finances have you discussed PofA with him? can you? Good idea to talk to Citizens ADvice. Sounds like you are getting to the point when you and your family will have to take control. If you want a social worker involved you must talk to his Local Authority. Might be wise to check out some local care homes, just to get an idea of whats out there and costs. If you can, check out the contract/job description with his present care agency, if they are genuinely failing him, seek out another, Ageuk may be able to point you in the right direction.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
Carers not cleaning!

We get this with MIL who does not have AD and its a cop out. She is old and vulnerable and shaky. She needs spills cleaning up properly, she needs the inside of her fridge cleaning out when she spills stuff in it that will go mouldy.

We are now on third complaint to agency.

Unfortunately, carer has now becomes MILs 'friend' and MIL finds it very hard to ask her to do things like wash underwear (in a machine), mop up spills. Carers need to do what is required professionally ..and if companionship is required then I think it should come from a different person because it seems to be used as an excuse to avoid cleaning.

The pay is at exactly the same level as a cleaning agency is and quite frankly they would do a signficantly better job. If what is required is cleaning I would pay a cleaner.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Fred Flintstone

Aug 28, 2014
S. E. England
[...]

Carers need to do what is required professionally ..and if companionship is required then I think it should come from a different person because it seems to be used as an excuse to avoid cleaning.

Personal care, bathing, and the following of medical instructions are functions quite distinct from house cleaning. Some of the more obvious reasons for this I have stated above.

The pay is at exactly the same level as a cleaning agency is and quite frankly they would do a signficantly better job. If what is required is cleaning I would pay a cleaner.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

THEN YOU PAY for a cleaner.

From what you say I suspect the cleaner would become your mother's friend also.

Only the cleaner would be in breach of her contract if she DID NOT do the cleaning, just as the carer would just as clearly be if she DID.

Just think about it,
Fred

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Both the agencies used (at different times) to help my Mum left a folder in the house with the details of the care plan contract and a daily update on what each carer did, when they arrived and left and how Mum was on each visit. Some of the time records were inaccurately recorded(!!!) but the document was very useful to my sister and I in checking up the type of help actually delivered. I think it's standard practice to provide such information and leave it in the cared for person's home.

Could you find an opportunity to go through your great uncle's folder to see what his plan says and what's being delivered?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa