Help please

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
I've just found a person looking for care homes in my locality, I sent her a reply and got a message that I had, oh I don't know what I had done, but I had exceeded something, and my communication could not be sent to her. I haven't a clue what I couldn't, do, but I couldn't do it, and I am sick to the back teeth of technology. I had exceeded the number of messages in something or other.

I have reached my stored private message quota. That is what it says. I have no idea what my quota is, I have made minimal emails on this site, and wasn't even aware that I had sent any private messages at all, apart from this one.

Please adcise as to what to do now. I hope my latest message will send.

Can I please have some advice as to what messages work.

Margaret

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Margaret,

every member who is able to send Private Messages can send and store a certain number.

Private Messages occupy space on the server that runs this forum and nobody has an unlimited amount of that space because the server only has a finite amount of storage.

So what we as members need to do is to do some cleaning up of our own messages.

The messages we receive are kept in a folder called In Box, and the ones we send are also kept - in a Sent folder.

We just need to delete the ones we don't need from both of these.

I have attached some information from the draft documentation I am working on - unfortunately I have hit space problems too because my documentation is larger than the permitted size for the forum.

So I have split it into 3 files.

As a result of your post above - for which my thanks - I will now add more content to the appropriate section of the documentation, to make it more comprehensive.

I hope this helps - if not then please post publicly because the PMs are not working for you.

In extremis, I may be able to clear your PMs but that would be all of them, with no choice of keeping any.

best wishes and thanks for your helpful posts on Talking Point

Bruce

Attachments

• How to use Talking Point p31.pdf
    273.8 KB · Views: 245
  • How to use Talking Point p32.pdf
    123.4 KB · Views: 322
  • How to use Talking Point p33.pdf
    96.2 KB · Views: 213

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Margaret W said:
I have reached my stored private message quota. That is what it says. I have no idea what my quota is, I have made minimal emails on this site, and wasn't even aware that I had sent any private messages at all, apart from this one.

Hi Margaret

Bruce's instructions are very clear, and should help you understand how to delete messages. You are only allowed to store 70, and once your box is full you will get the error message you describe. Don't forget that both incoming and ouitgoing messages count towards that total, so it very quickly fills up.

I think you're also unclear about the terminology used. Nothing on this site is an email, that's a different thing altogether.

What you write on a forum, as you have done here, is a 'post'. If you send a message to another member without posting publicly, that is a 'private message', or 'PM'. These are the ones you need to keep checking, and delete any you don't need to keep.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Margaret

one tip worth noting - when you reply to a personal message, the default is that the message to which you are replying is included, as a quote.

I recommend deleting the quote - it all just adds to the space taken, and in particular to the 1,500 word maximum for a message.