Help Please

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
Just spoke to my brother who visited Mum this evening - he had a completely different experience to me and said that Mum had complained about a carer - exactly the same as when he saw her on Saturday - 'Mum said she never nursed anyone like that (she thinks she is in hospital and the carer is a nurse) and dad wouldn't put up with it'. This is concerning as Mum is so compliant and actually eager to please, pathetically so.

Any thoughts please?

Thank you in advance, Sharon

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
:D lovely pic. I love to see people bringing children into the care home, there are quite a few playing around in the lovely garden at mum's place now it is the holidays, I think it sort of normalises the place. Mum always likes to see children. She gave birth fairly recently apparently, not bad going at 97, she beat your mum to it.:D

Hi RR, pass on my congratulations!

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Upset, Confused and agitated

Not sure why Mum has started getting into such a state. This evening my brother popped in to see her and she would not be calmed with the compassionate communication I have told him about. Kept wanting my Dad and just would not be fobbed off even though he told her Dad was at work, having a Chinese takeaway etc. She wants to get out of the place etc. etc. very distressed. He sent me a text and I called and was able to speak with her and she did calm down.

What happens when her children are not there though and she gets into a state? My brother spoke to one of the lovely caring carers who said it is part of the dementia to 'turn' like this. Mum was trying to stand up, begging to go with my brother - yes the same old story - wanted to go home wherever that is....

Does anyone think this will pass again as she has been in care for almost 2.5 years now. This is so heartbreaking and it takes me at least 3 hours to visit round trip....

Any thoughts please?

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
I went to see Mum yesterday and she was lying on the bed, no agitation lots of interaction, knew who I was. I noticed she had the fortisip in front of her which she hates with a vengeance and spoke to the carer and explained the gp was prescribing something else. The carer kind of disagreed with me and said until they received the new stuff, they had to offer the fortisip. I said Mum has plainly said 'no' and she absolutely hates it and is eating a little food anyway.

I took all the bottles of fortisip out to the kitchen and left them there (two carrier bags completely full!! poor Mum) :eek: The carer looked annoyed and came back with the new stuff then, (it had just arrived) which was fortisip but in yoghurt form! :p I told the carer it's the same stuff but thicker and Mum would not like it! I asked Mum to just have a sip which she did and said she did not like it. :roll: Funny that!

I have agreed to speak with the gp about it when she is there next Thursday because this is not a solution as far as I can see. All Mum's food is pureed, she had a few spoons of soup and a few spoons of mashed potatoes and swede and minced stuff. The carer told me she has lost 200gs in weight which is about 7 ounces, not a lot but as she is so tiny it is a lot for Mum and her weight is still going down.

Not sure if you remember, we were told in May Mum only had days to live as she had stopped eating or drinking completely. Then the fortisip was started and she is badgered to have this despite her feeble protests. Before Mum got like this she was so feisty she would have flung it at the carers and told them to eff off!!! I don't know why they are doing this, she is on an end of life plan, she is 86 and is not going to improve or overcome her difficulties - it might sound awful but I have no desire to prolong her life, much as I love her.

Sharon

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don't know why they are doing this, she is on an end of life plan, she is 86 and is not going to improve or overcome her difficulties - it might sound awful but I have no desire to prolong her life, much as I love her.
I would imagine that they are doing it because they have been instructed to do so. The nurses caring for my husband were awaiting permission from the GP to start giving him pureed food when he died. Carers and even the nurse do have to carry out the GP's orders.
I know you don't want to prolong your mother's life but they have a duty of care and can't abandon it for this reason. I do find it quite an odd end of life plan though as your mother does seem to have improved a bit from your earlier posts I think.

It's a shame your mother dislikes all the flavours of the Fortisips, my husband loved them when he was given them in hospital. Perhaps she never was a yoghurt liker
though.

I hope you manage to find some sort of common ground with this issue for your poor mother's sake.:)

Last edited:

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Fall in home

My brother called as he had been in to see Mum, she was up in the sitting room with another nice lady and he was chatting to them both and having a bit of fun. The other lady started getting agitated (wanting to go home to her mummy and daddy in her 80's :roll: ) and tried to get up out of the chair - she cannot walk just like my Mum and is very sweet too - anyway my brother told her to stay where she was and he would get help for her. He got a carer who said she would put the lady to bed, as she was alone, he asked if he could help but was told it's ok, the lady can stand up herself. Just as my bro took a phone call, he saw the carer step back and when he heard the thud, he realised she had done so to avoid the lady falling onto/into her! :eek: which perhaps would have broken the fall.

The carer pressed an alarm for help button and left the lady on the floor who was upset and hurt - bro got a cushion for her and placed it under her head. Another carer came, they used a hoist and got the lady into a wheelchair and took her off - he assumed to bed.

He is going to make a report on this but said before he left that he wanted two carers to see Mum into bed, they told him not to worry!!!

Wish I had been there...I would have wanted to see Mum into bed before I left......I am going to call shortly to find out if she is ok! This accident was careless and avoidable.

I had already been told by the head nurse that many of the residents are at risk of falls!

Very upset.

Last edited:

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
That's bad. In my husband's home there were always 2 carers to help move an non- walking resident.
Residents sadly do fall but surely, it's not acceptable that they should when a carer is right there beside them.
I would make a strong complaint, no wonder you are concerned.

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
'They' do tell you not to cushion a fall.

I am told not to do it all the time with my son, mind you, he's 6ft 7ins and 20 stone so he would squash me if he fell but I would still at least attempt to cushion his fall, as I would with a stranger on the street.

I know where this thinking comes from but that's why two carers are needed, a 'guided fall' has got to be better than a thud.

I suppose you will have to give them the benefit of the doubt as you don't know (and they won't be able to tell you) if this lady WAS truly able to stand and this was the first time she had fallen.

But it doesn't stop you mentioning the event and telling them how it worries you that something similar could happen to your Mum, you want them to log your call and your mention of this issue and you will send an email and need a reply to confirm that your worries have been noted.

It is very worrying as these sort of 'accidents' can be avoided with vigilant care.

As to the Fortisip dilemma...my Mam HATED them, we had her changed to Fortijuice on the advice of Grove (where are you Grove? haven't heard from you for ages!)

My mam liked them, fruity flavours, much thinner...like a juice rather than sucking porridge through a straw.

Mam was prescribed them from GP...ask GP to change the prescription and tell home to return unused drinks to Chemist.

Hope your Mum has some more contented times soon.

ASH74

May 18, 2014
Regarding the fortisip....as has already been said there are others on the market.....it can sometimes depend on who the community dietician has a contract with but if you create GP can prescribe what he/she likes. FIL prefers the juice versions.

FIL used me as an unwitting crash mat last year...I turned away for a second to put the brakes on his wheelchair at the hospital....he stood up alone and used me to steady himself on...but I wasn't ready or aware.....dislocated shoulder and whiplash....so pleased I was in the hospital.......but that was unfortunate......I have done controlled falls with him with no ill effect on either of us. Depends what the policy is in the home....we live in a litigious society.....staff may be directed not to cushion residents falls.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments every one - very much appreciated. I realise how important it is to share this kind of information with you all as it really does help.

My brother rang the care home manager earlier who knew about the fall but had not had the report yet. He said he got quite choked about stating the fact the lady was shown absolutely no compassion or concern by the carer...I thought about it all night but he actually cried about it.....

Despite any training, I still think my instinct would have been to try to at least save the lady's head from hitting the ground rather than stepping back and then being so unfeeling.

It is so scary how a snapshot moment of time can give so much cause for concern for the other times when there are no reliable 'witnesses' around. I will let you know what happens. I do have every faith in the manager and the head nurse.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
The carer who showers my husband went on a safety course and when he came that night he said they had told him if anyone slips or falls they should not try to grab them or stop them falling or help them in case they are injured themselves,
He said it was a natural reaction but he was told if he injured himself in this way he would not be able to work and would not be able to claim any compensation,

I despair !!!!!!!!!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The carer pressed an alarm for help button and left the lady on the floor who was upset and hurt - bro got a cushion for her and placed it under her head.
I still think that the time to press the button for assistance was when she first came to the lady. As the lady was already on the floor once she had fallen, the least she could have done was to have done what your brother did and made her less uncomfortable.

I do hope your faith in the manager is fulfilled. Good luck.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Must say I think it very wrong to keep on trying to get anyone to eat or drink something they don't want, or that they actively dislike. If the person did not have dementia they would say very plainly that they did not want it, or that they hated it, please take it away and don't bring me any more. But when someone can no longer communicate effectively - except by shutting their mouth or turning their head away - somehow their very plain wishes are so often ignored.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Freezing

This is the letter I have just written to the home, hope it is self explanatory - your views are welcome.

I am sorry to have to write to you again and I am afraid this is going to be a long e mail but there is a lot for me to explain. I have just got home after visiting Mum, who when I arrived was absolutely freezing cold, her hands and arms were like ice. In view of the weather, I was very surprised about this as she seemed to be suitably dressed and the building is usually warm.

Mum was in a wheelchair in the kitchen diner when I arrived and other ladies were sitting at tables. I asked Carer A if Mum could have her lunch in the sitting room so we could sit with her, this was agreed. When we entered the sitting room the drop in temperature was immense! Mum asked if I could close the window but I noticed a mobile air conditioning unit was blasting out cold air - my husband switched this off straight away. A while later and having wheeled Mum to the window so she could feel the sun and put a shawl round her, we were still feeling drafts of cold air and I noticed a room wall stat and went to look, it was set to 16 degs only which I believe must be the lowest setting possible! It seemed like interfering but my husband set it to 21 degs which may be a little low for the elderly.

Another lady was wheeled in by Carer A and left in her wheelchair and not transferred to an armchair - I was so very surprised she left her as not only am I aware from my brother of her recent fall but especially in view of the fact that she told me she could not leave my Mum unattended in a wheelchair because of the risk of a fall a couple of weeks ago. On that occasion, Carer A had told me Mum had not been got up in the morning until it was quieter and there was time for someone to stay right beside her all the time! In fact, after I saw Manager in the garden that day when we brought a picnic and my daughter's dog ran inside the home etc. we took Mum back up and I wheeled her into the sitting room, left my daughter sat on a stool or something and I went to the kitchen to make tea. When I returned there was no space for me to sit beside Mum but as Carer A was in an armchair right beside Mum, I asked her if she would let me sit there instead - I did find it strange that she just sat there, but when she explained to me about the falls risk, leaving Mum unattended etc. I found that feasible.

Now with the benefit of hindsight, I believe Carer A may well have lied, or may have left the other lady at risk today? I don't know all the procedures you work to, you will know best.

Due to the dementia I do know Mum is not the most reliable witness, but today she kept saying 'I don't think she likes me' 'she is rude' 'she is a tough one, that one' and I don't know how many more things and she told me to 'keep away from that one' - this went on for most of the time I was there and I tried distraction etc. but she kept coming back to Carer A. I wish now I had recorded this on my phone for you to hear.

Mum, as you may well know, is very kind and affectionate and usually loves the staff, even introduced me to Carer B saying 'Sharon, this is your cousin'. I have only seen Mum like this once, with a resident in her previous home and it turned out she was right, he was aggressive and actually struck my Mum once. As I said, Mum is not the most reliable, but she was able to tell me a young man wanted to put her in a nightie which she refused as it did not belong to her and he had called her Pauline which he could get into trouble with Matron for because he should call her 'nurse' really. My brother confirmed this was all true, it happened on Thursday he was there at the time. I am stating this to demonstrate to you that there seems to be a mixture of fact and fiction.

Overall we have been so happy with how Mum has been cared for and cared about at (care home name removed) but I now have horrible fears about Mum being at the mercy of Carer A who is able to demonstrate a complete lack of empathy when the lady fell, which you already know about and perhaps, at best, stretching the truth about why Mum was not got up out of bed in the morning.

I also have my horrible suspicions about who set the room temperature so low, then went even further and switched the mobile air conditioner in an already very cold room and where my Mum, or the lady for that matter could possibly have had it aimed at them. This would have been extremely cruel.

I hope I am wrong and would be very happy for you to convince me so. I just don't believe empathy and kindness can be taught or supervised and apart from how Mum was today, Carer A gives me very bad vibes, not just me, my brother also. It feels like intuition.

Before I left I told Carer B my husband had turned the stat up and that poor Mum had been so cold before. I wish I had asked where the mobile unit was in relation to where she was sitting. I put a table between Mum and the lady and made them both a cup of tea which they were very happy about and left them chatting.

Where is the lovely carer called asdfghj or something like that? A true carer who truly cared, a bit like zxcvb, I wish he was on Mum's floor, she loves him!

Sorry this is emotional, but it is how I feel about my poor little Mum who was the kindest most caring nurse you could imagine to anyone who was suffering.

Sadly, I don't expect to hear from you until Monday but if I have not explained anything very well, please do contact me on (phone number removed). I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited:

SoyHJ

Mar 16, 2013
That's far too low for an elderly, infirm person. I'm so sorry about your Mum. Please let us know what they reply.

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
This was from Mum's care home manager today - I am delighted!

Hi Sharon,

I cannot address this quickly today but in the meantime will move Carer A from the 2nd floor (where \mum is) and look into your concerns in a considered manner as soon as I can.

Last edited:

ASH74

May 18, 2014
Well at least it is some action.....it will be a case of watch this space. Hope your Mum is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951