Help Please

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Hello, apparently Mum has put on three quarters of a kilo - thought this sounded fantastic but it is only a couple of pounds I think. I am still an imperial girl! lol

I am an imperial girl too, never have a clue when they talk kilos etc. Glad to hear your Mum has gained a couple of pounds though xx

Ange

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Nr Heathrow, Mum has AD & VD
All that paracetamol???

Hello everyone, Mum is still eating like a mouse was in bed today but contented. The carer came in and gave Mum 5 desert spoonfuls of paracetamol? It seemed such a lot but she said it was very weak.

I asked what it was for and she said the GP thinks Mum is happier because of it and that she may not be communicating any pain she may have (I do agree with this) but it does seem to be such an awful lot!!!

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello everyone, Mum is still eating like a mouse was in bed today but contented. The carer came in and gave Mum 5 desert spoonfuls of paracetamol? It seemed such a lot but she said it was very weak.

I asked what it was for and she said the GP thinks Mum is happier because of it and that she may not be communicating any pain she may have (I do agree with this) but it does seem to be such an awful lot!!!

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance x

Sounds a lot to me. Do you know how much is in a dsp? 1g every 4 hours shouldn't be exceeded and max 4 doses in 24hr:confused: dsp =10ml so that's 50ml in one dose?? according to link that is 5g more than total dose for 24hrs.

Paracetamol can cause liver damage so dose should not be exceeded. I take a lot because I know it helps but have to try and be very careful to keep within limits.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/27161/SPC/Paracetamol+Adult+500mg+5ml+Oral+Suspension/

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hello WG

Glad your Mum was contented. How much paracetamol has she been prescribed? Was it the soluable type? Maybe the carer just disolved the tablets in lots of water. Can you have a look at Mum's prescription record? It should be in her individual folder.

Oh dear-more worries

Take care

Lyn T

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
It was like a medicine, in a plastic bottle and was orange in colour. The spoon she used looked like a desert spoon also not a proper measure...

Do you think I should e mail the head nurse who was so helpful last time there was an issue with Mum being completely badgered, forced to take food and medicine? I really like the carer as she is so good and sweet, really gentle and kind with Mum I would hate for her to be in trouble?

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It was like a medicine, in a plastic bottle and was orange in colour. The spoon she used looked like a desert spoon also not a proper measure...

Do you think I should e mail the head nurse who was so helpful last time there was an issue with Mum being completely badgered, forced to take food and medicine? I really like the carer as she is so good and sweet, really gentle and kind with Mum I would hate for her to be in trouble?

I would email and ask about your Mum's pain control and what they are giving, the carer will only be giving what she has been told to give and should be supervised so the head nurse should be able to tell you what it is.

Boney

Dec 9, 2012
My experience

Had to re post this as I feel so desperate for feedback - sorry :eek:

Hi just got in from seeing Mum who is a bit brighter looking but I now have another heartbreaking dilemma.

The doctor recently said Mum is likely to live for days or possibly a couple of weeks the way she was going on. The carer said Mum had capacity to make choices and they would not force her to eat or drink.

Just before we left visiting today, a nurse came along and asked if they could put Mum's meds, anti depressant and liquid paracetamol into yogurts and soups etc. I said well she is refusing to eat so perhaps not a good idea and suggested patches may help instead. The nurse told me she had fed Mum some soup at lunchtime and porridge for breakfast.

Anyway then what upset me was how she crushed tablets into the liquid paracetamol and then knelt down in front of Mum and insisted she take each of the 3 desert spoons. I was quite appalled! Poor Mum did not want it and was looking so distressed! If I had not been there to give Mum sips of water in between I don't think she would have been able to wash the taste away!!!!!

My issues are they will be making her food (which she will not be able to refuse from this particular nurse) taste absolutely horrible. I suggested patches for her meds instead which I heard about on here. Mum isn't fit or strong enough to fight against this like she must want to and I am now so choked. The nurse herself is huge and although is probably being cruel to be kind it just seems so wrong.

Mum is sipping water voluntarily which is an improvement so must surely become more hydrated.

Another question I need to ask is why if they want to feed her now even if she refuses, why didn't they do it before she became emaciated??? Poor Mum complains of feeling sick! I now have visions of her being forced to swallow foul tasting yoghurts by this nurse.

When she moved away, I spoke to her and asked if she knew what the gp had predicted - the nurse said gps can get it wrong and Mum could go on for years.

My husband and I had a difference of opinion on the way home, he said it is for Mum's own good and she could well get better. To me this is the wrong way to do it.

I am going to call the gp and ring the home tomorrow to state I want gp advice and not to do anything until then. I will really appreciate your thoughts,advice and opinions.

Thank you in advance
You could try what we did- go and see her GP and discuss medications. He agreed with us that we should give her liquid paracetamol to keep her comfortable but not force anything else. Mum spent her last months pain free but not sedated. For her last week we could only tempt her with sips of drink but that was her choice. She was 93, had fought cancer twice then dementia and knew when she was ready to stop fighting. My lasting memories of her last days will be of her holding our hands, smiling and peaceful. Go with your heart and be strong. My thoughts will be with you x

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Could you arrange to meet with the homes's GP at the home when she/he visits?
I was able to ask to see the GP whenever I wanted to. She visited 3 times a week regularly, apart from callouts, so I just spoke to the nurse beforehand, made sure I was there at the right time though I usually was anyway and the nurse told the Dr I wanted a word.
Of course, I was able to make sure I was there which perhaps isn't so easy for those who work. It might be worth it though, just to give you peace of mind.

At413

Sep 27, 2012
Painkilling patches

Hi

My mum has advanced dementia and recently broke her arm. I could tell she was in lots of pain and much better the few days she was in hospital when pain relief was intravenous. Taking the painkillers in the oral solution was hit and miss. After a couple of conversations with the nurse at the care home, the GP came and prescribed painkillers via a patch. It took a day or so to take effect but mum seemed much more comfortable after it did and - not that it is about me - I felt better for having done something to make her a little more comfortable. I'm not sure what other medication can be given via a patch but for painkillers definitely worth pursuing in my experience.
Mary

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Have not updated here for a while about Mum but she is still hanging on, still losing weight little by little but surviving somehow.

This morning after the thunderstorm cleared I rang the home to ask if she could be got up into a wheelchair so I could take her to the garden for a picnic. When I arrived with my daughter and two of my grandsons (age 8 and 5 and their cockapoo dog age under 1) she had taken a little soup and a few spoons of a pureed dinner only.

It was lovely in the garden with the sun shining which Mum enjoyed but especially she loved watching the boys playing with a ball and the dog running around but coming back for strokes.

I have never seen anyone this thin but she is alert and ready for a giggle especially when she said she was pregnant :eek::eek::eek:, I feel so lucky compared to some as she is still so affectionate and loving!

Sharon

Attachments

• 20140728_140437[1].jpg
    20140728_140437[1].jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 580

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
Lovely photo. Glad your Mum had a good day.

Watching bairns and a pooch playing in the garden would cheer me up too.

starryuk

Nov 8, 2012
Your mum looks lovely Wolfsgirl. Maybe it is the light, but her skin looks a good colour and smooth...or is it the bloom of pregnancy?: :D

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
:D lovely pic. I love to see people bringing children into the care home, there are quite a few playing around in the lovely garden at mum's place now it is the holidays, I think it sort of normalises the place. Mum always likes to see children. She gave birth fairly recently apparently, not bad going at 97, she beat your mum to it.:D

Wolfsgirl

Oct 18, 2012
Hope you were delighted with your new sibling! |Boy or girl? :D
:D lovely pic. I love to see people bringing children into the care home, there are quite a few playing around in the lovely garden at mum's place now it is the holidays, I think it sort of normalises the place. Mum always likes to see children. She gave birth fairly recently apparently, not bad going at 97, she beat your mum to it.:D