Help please

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
A friend of mine has a wife suffering from FTD and Parkinsons. She has been very mobile until a few weeks ago and she came down with a suspected DVT which created a very swollen leg and loss of mobility. She also has a pressure sore on the back of her heel.

She has been examined, x-rayed, scanned and there is definitely no DVT and up until now it seems a mystery as to what could be causing this. The GP has told my friend that she will have further blood tests and xrays. I mentioned that another member(s) of Talking Point has experienced something similar and that I would try and find the links to the thread(s). I can't find what I am looking for. Does anyone relate to this or remember which thread(s) were involved??

Love

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Could be me, Helen.

John was sent to hospital with suspected DVT, but tests were negative. It was just his right leg that swelled badly, though he had slight swelling in his other leg and his hands from time to time. They decided it was kidney failure.

He also had a lot of problems with sores on his heels, but I don't think the two were connected.

I'll try to find the 'DVT' section, I should be able to, it was the day before I went on holiday with Connie!

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?8640-Worried-about-John/page125

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you Hazel. There is definitely something very supportive in knowing that someone else has experienced something similar and that one is not completely alone. I can see that you are very busy preparing for your holiday as well as preparing for a big day tomorrow so I appreciate it all the more. I hope tomorrow goes well for you and that you feel happy and confident in your choice of attire.

Thanks.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Helen, the leg swelling could be as Hazel says due to the kidneys. Has she been tested for that?

It could also be lymphoedema, often initially mistaken for a DVT. This is swelling caused by a build up of lymph fluid usually caused by damage to the lymph vessels or lymph nodes. The lymphatic system is the body's 'sewage' system. Various causes of that which can include an injury and possibly a sore. I wont go into that, complicated to explain, but just a thought. Not a well understood condition by the medical profession. Hence often being thought to be a DVT.

Is her heart alright? Although that would, I think, usually cause swelling of both legs. Lung problems can also cause swelling, emphysema being one. Not sure if that would affect only one leg.

Then medications can sometimes cause swellings, has she had any change of meds?

Sorry, vague...

Loo xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you Loo, I really appreciate your thoughts. I have given the link to my friend and I am sure he will follow up every suggestion with the medics.

It was lovely to see that beautiful picture of you and Henry on your wedding day:) I am so pleased to see you and Saffie really supporting one another.

Love and a (HUG)

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
In David's mid to late stage of dementia he had numerous panic visits to the local hospital with ? DVT. There never was a DVT and no one every diagnosed a problem.

He had left side swollen leg, ankle and hand - that was probably from around 2005 - 2010. Some 18 mths ago I asked for legs to be elevated but since then there has been a major downturn (not necessarily related to change in leg position).

Since the downturn the swelling in leg arm and hand has reduced :confused:.

This is our experience, not sure if it helps.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Helen, I do hope your friend gets to the bottom of his wife's leg swelling. Some consolation in knowing it is definitely not a DVT though.

Thanks for your comment on our wedding photograph! Perhaps I should show it to Henry as he no longer recognises photos of himself as he now is, says "that's not me, he is an old man!" :(

I am so pleased to see you and Saffie really supporting one another.

I'm sure I speak for both of us when I say TP is our lifeline. The caring support here is invaluable. I only hope I can give a little of that to others, and I deeply ache for so many coping with this horrendous disease.

Hope you are alright? Miss you...

Love
Loo xxx