Help please

Beyonce

Jan 22, 2011
Kent
Hi

I would appreciate any help. My mum is 72 and has Alzheimers, my Dad works part time. I work and have a young daughter and we see her twice a week but she is very lonely and this upsets her and me (although i dont show it) My Mum and Dad havent got the most loving and caring relationship i.e my dad isnt very sensitive or caring towards my mum so this doesnt help her situation.

I would like my mum to go to some groups so she be around people I would take her and sit with her to start with - she goes to something on a wednesday night through age concern but thats once a month. I just want my mum not to be lonely because being alone doesnt help her as it gets her depressed and she needs stimulating a) because everyone does and b)because of the alzheimers. (not sure if i have spelt it right)

What can i do?, who can i contact? Mum lives in Maidstone Kent

Please help :(

thank you

littlegem

Nov 11, 2010
north Wales
Hi, try your local Alz group or the charity Crossroads.
You are right your Mum does need to be around people or else she might get depressed.
Hope you find something
Take care
xx

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Hi Beyonce and welcome to Talking Point (TP)

Does your mum have a community psychiatric nurse or Social Worker? They should be able to arrange day care for your mum and these centres often have activities which may help your mum.

My mum sadly refused point blank to go to such a facility but I believe they have great benefit.

If your mum doesn't have a CPN or SW, she should have if she has been officially diagnosed.

Best wishes and good luck xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Has your dad had a carer's assessment? It was through me getting one of these that I found out about local groups and was put in touch with the ALzheimer's Scotland local group. x

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005

Meercat

Aug 13, 2010
Your local church/mosque may run get togethers for the local community which would be age appropriate for your Mum and would enable you to drop her off to give yourself a break.

Is it possible to explore her christmas card list/address book to contact old friends who could pop in or phone now and then?

It's really difficult as my M doesn't see herself as been lonely but has cut herself off from her friends (as people have not understood her condition) and now plagues a neighbour with visits EVERY day.

'Loneliness' really is part & parcel of this dreadful illness as dementia sufferes can't plan or organise their day or activities and forget when they have had 'quality' time with a friend or carer.

Take care
Meercat

Beyonce

Jan 22, 2011
Kent
*******help needed*****

Hi All

thank you all so much for taking the time to read my post and to reply. I will take your advice and contact Alzheimers Society. etc. Mum is is a real home body but it will do her the world of good to be around other people so hopefully i get her to a group. I will let you know how I get on.

Mum is on aricept has been from when she was diagnosed in 2006 it has stabilised her alot but her last memory test went from 19 to 11. I will have to speak to my Dad about the social worker and the carers asessment but i dont think he's had an assessment.

thank you again i will be in touch

Leila xxxx (Beyonce)

Marple

Jan 17, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hi Beyonce,
As your Mum is already involved with age concern, speak to the people there. In our area they run a scheme called 'time out'. This is where a befriender will visit Mum a couple of times a week and help with anything from taking her shopping, the hairdresser, the bank or just sitting having a cuppa with her. (it used to be that the first 4 hours a week were free). Mums befriender also managed to encourage Mum to go to a day centre, also run by age concern.
Good Luck
Marple x