Help please

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi

I am looking for some help with the drugs that are available to people suffering from AD.

My mum was taking aricept and has recently become very violent and is walking with the police bringing her back on regular occasions.

She has just been admitted to a respite care home and within the first day she has been given Temezapan, half a tablet?

What options are available to us, we hae a meeting on wednesday with i beleive Social Services.

Please can anyone offer advice, if she is to return home, my dad needs some form of medication for her anger?

Thanks

Gillian:confused:

Lanie

Aug 31, 2008
Surrey
My Mum is on the Rivastagmine patch which releases slowly over 24hours. I'm new to this so couldn't say whether it helps with aggression just a different medication. Have you tried searching the internet for Alzheimers drugs, it may give you some answers. Sorry I don't think I've been very helpful. I do hope you find some answers!

Lanie

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hi,

I'm really do not know enough about the available mediation to help. But I would suggest contacting the Alzheimers Society's help line. And when you meet with your mother consultant asking his/her advise and ask that to explain what each type of mediation does and the pros and cons of each.
Jackie

The helpline is usually open from 8.30am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday. Alzheimer's Society Dementia Helpline 0845 300 0336.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hello - not sure how helpful I can be - my husband is on Aricept and I think it is becoming less effective. If you have doubts about medication I do think only the Consultant can help you.

It is a wretched illness and maybe we do have to accept that sometimes NO medication can help. We can only do the best we can.

Keep posting - I am sure further comments will be forthcoming.

Best wishes Jan

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Gillian, it's difficult for anyone to help here, only a doctor can tell what would be suitable for your mum.

Antipsychotics are sometimes used to treat aggression in people with dementia, but there is a great deal of debate about their use, as they are usually prescribed for schizophrenia and are not generally recommended for dementia.

If you go to the Alzheimer's Society website:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/index.php

or click the button at the top of the page, you can type antipsychotics into the search box. There are lots of articles there.

Alternatively, tranquillisers are sometimes used, (Temazepam is one) but these are not terribly effective, and are very addictive.

Please talk to your GP or consultant about this.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Gillian69

I am no expert, but temazepam, I think is a sleeping tablet. I think, it is of the diazapam group, but I am guessing. My Mum was prescribed it for a short time, to help her sleep.
It is not one of the drugs prescribed for dementia, as in Aricept, Reminyl (SP) ETC.

Medication for anger, anxiety, agitation, I think is mormally, anti-psychotic medication.

My Mum did very well on quietiapine for over a year, but then was refusing medication and other medications didn't work.

I have noticed I have written a lot of "I think" Do you have a CPN or a consultant Psycho-Geriatrian involved in your Mum's care? If not ask your GP to refer your Mum

Sorry if I am teaching "grannie to suck eggs" or I am way of beam here.

Take care
Alfjess

Sally Preston

May 14, 2008
South Shields
Hi Gillian, has your mum been on Aricept long and has she had her dose increased from 5mg to 10mg. I only ask because my mam was started on Aricept 6 weeks ago and responded well on 5mg.

She was given the increased dose 2 weeks ago with shocking results, initially she was wandering in her nightclothes again but then became violent towards both her cat which she loves and hit me for the first time. She also began self harming and was extremelly distressed.

I contacted her consultant who reduced her Aricept immediately and she is back to having an excellent response.

I have heard this response to the increased dose is not unusual.

Sorry if this is of no help.

Sally Preston

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrah1952