Help please - a nice problem!!!!

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
I really believe my mum’s GP to be exceptional and I want to say ‘thank-you’ in a meaningful way (and I don’t have a spare million to donate to his favourite charity!)

In the past, when I have felt we have received exceptional standards of care by, say, nursing staff at hospital, I have done the ‘chocs and thank-you card’ to the ward and backed it up with a letter to the Chief Execs department – copied to the member(s) of staff so that they have it on their ‘career file’.

A couple of weeks ago I emailed the local Primary Care Trust to see if they had any kind of ‘award schemes’ I could nominate GP for – no response. I guess they are too busy dealing with complaints?! :rolleyes: (Sorry, must stop being so cynical!)

Anyone, any ideas?

Ta! Tender Face

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
I think it would be nice if you sent him a card or a letter saying that you appreciate everything that he's done. I think it's really nice of you to think of it and I am glad to hear that your mum's GP is exceptional.

I think we are all always too ready to complain and maybe not quick enough to go out of our way to say thank you. I am sure it would mean a lot to your mum's GP to know that his efforts are appreciated.

I have a reasonably good GP in some ways but not in others. After my dad died I went to see him to get a sick note. I mentioned that my mum had dementia and he more or less said that if that was the case she wouldn't be around for long and it may only be a matter of weeks. This man is not my mum's GP and has never met her! I was feeling vey vulberable at the time in view of my dad's death and if I hadn't known anything about dementia then obviously I would have been traumatised by his comments and left expecting the worse imminently!

That was 17 months ago by the way, so his 'prognosis' was thankfully inaccurate!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Tender Face said:
I really believe my mum’s GP to be exceptional and I want to say ‘thank-you’ in a meaningful way ...
You could try ringing his secretary, and ask what his interests are, what he drinks etc. (Brandy is still a classy gift)
If you get an "interests" clue (I don't know if many doctors have time to do a hobby) you could get him a video on the subject? (I'm thinking Steam Trains, Classic Cars, Fire Engines, WW2 Aeroplanes, Car Racing)

Glad your GP is good, I think mine is too.

Last edited:

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Hi TF.

I think a card or letter saying thank you usually goes down well and might be more meaningful than you imagine. I work in a GP surgery and often such cards/letters are pinned to the noticeboard and stay there for ages because it reminds all the staff what a good job they're doing. So many patients come through every day, most of them come and go and say little, a few complain. The ones who are genuinely appreciative of good work can make a big difference to staff morale. Chocolates and biscuits always go down well in a surgery ..... comfort food and easy to share.

If you want to 'broadcast' the praise a little wider you might try speaking to your local PALS scheme in the NHS. They deal with complaints so they should be able to handle compliments too ;) Or maybe even writing a letter or short piece for local newpaper or community freebie paper ..... (and then sending the surgery a copy?) ?

oh, and ....er ........ my experience of emailing PCTs (though I work for one) is that an awful lot of emails get overlooked ..... if the person who's computer it arrives on doesn't know what to do with it it gets deleted :( You might get a better response from phoning.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi TF
I agree with Aine's advice.
At one stage I did deal with GP complaints and my advice would be to write to the PCT chairman.
Complaimts and praise leters are raised at the board meetings
Norman

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Thanks All!

Some great ideas (especially like to get 'inside information'!) I will take these forward on my 'list of things to do this week'!

I thought back on this post today and wondered am I so sad we live in a 'complaints and compensation culture' even I have forgotten what it feels like to want to express something positive? - and then wonder how best to do it?

Hugs to all, and a big THANK YOU!!!!!!

PS: With special thoughts and hugs to those who are not in the 'lucky' situation I am in having a great GP for mum (or loved one) ...

TTFN, TF

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Aine especially!

Got a response from my e-mail!!!! (Restored your faith?):) But damned valid point I haven't thought about before with ANY organisation. I suppose the 'Read Receipt' is the modern 'Recorded Delivery' - only proof of the pudding/posting/receipt and no guarantee of any response...... anyway....

How was I to know I needed to contact the DCM of the PCT who manages QAs and awards COCs ?

Do PCTs have prizes for gobbledy-gook?:D Sure every organisation (non-profit or otherwise) is the same these days .... (sigh!)

Anyway, translation for above, The Deputy Communications Manager (no less!) of my local Primary Care Trust has been forwarded my original email query and given me details of 'Quality Awards' for which she can provide a 'Certificate of Commendation' if my nominations get approval!

Thanks again all, (And yes, the chocs, and cards etc etc are in hand too!!!)

Hugs, all. TF

Áine

Feb 22, 2006
sort of north east ish
Tender Face said:
Do PCTs have prizes for gobbledy-gook?:D

No, no prizes for gobbledy-gook .... it's expected a normal practice from every PCT employee. I understand though that there are some penalties for any staff speaking in any way which might be construed as intelligible or helpful to patients, and that this is going to form part of the annual employee appraisal process ..... though this policy is currently being reviewed and re-drafted and sent to 1001 different committees, and there's some question to who is actually heading up the project as present ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56