Help over Christmas?

jade.morley

Nov 28, 2015
Hi all :)

I was wondering if anyone was able to give me some advice?
I work in a hospital at an assesment ward for people with dementia, we've just moved wards and we're pretty much having to start from scratch again!:(
Does anyone know of a place where they donate christmas decorations? We're really struggling to get hold of some as you may know budgets these days!:( We will be going around to local shops ect to ask if they are willing to donate but i didnt know if there were any organisations?

Our patients on the ward know its Christmas soon and some have even asked to help put up decorations, we're getting them involved with making some as part of the activites but again, that only stretches so far!

I hope i havent bothered anyone and will be posting on here to help others too! Any help for advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Not sure about that but I wondered if it would be worth ringing up some local charity shops to see if they have any. I intend to sort through our this year when I take the boxes down I was going to hand them into the Barnardos shop.

Perhaps a local newspaper would do a little article about it and ask for donations of decorations.

I wonder if it's too late to contact any big supermarkets to ask if they have any of last year's decorations they could donate.

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I belong to a freecycle group. I don't know where you are in the country but if you have one locally you could just post your post on there and I think you would get quite a lot free but you would have to collect. Just a thought

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Mention it to relatives of the patients?
I've got loads of stuff I don't use & would happily donate if asked.

Are you in the Merseyside area?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could try a letter in any local newspapers, or ring into a local radio station.

EDIT
For any donated items beware of fire regulations.

Last edited:

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
How do fire regs work for Christmas Decs then Nitram. I bought some today and they don't have any info on them brand new about fire regs?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
How do fire regs work for Christmas Decs then Nitram. I bought some today and they don't have any info on them brand new about fire regs?

If they are going in a CH then with anything electrical it has to be PAT tested. The maintaintance man will sort it.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
yes but the decs i bought don't say anything on them and neither does the tinsel.

jade.morley

Nov 28, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll post an ad on our local sites like free cycle and gumtree, we're in the Norwich area so I'll see what we can post on locally :) We are able to put up the usual decorations and have been given the all clear, obviously things such as lights etc will be tested before taken into the ward, we would sort through anything donated and check the safety of them, of course we wouldn't want to accept anything that could be of harm to the patients, so rest assured, we will safety check everything :)

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! :) :)

Grable

May 19, 2015
I would agree with the advice to get in touch with your local radio station: the people who listen to it tend to be those with a more 'community' ethos and often come through with flying colours at such times.

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll post an ad on our local sites like free cycle and gumtree, we're in the Norwich area so I'll see what we can post on locally :) We are able to put up the usual decorations and have been given the all clear, obviously things such as lights etc will be tested before taken into the ward, we would sort through anything donated and check the safety of them, of course we wouldn't want to accept anything that could be of harm to the patients, so rest assured, we will safety check everything :)

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions! :) :)

If you are in the Norwich area telephone John Lewis, used to work for them and they donate to charity, maybe ask for crackers too ? Worth a phone call.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513