Help needed!!

coffee addict

Sep 18, 2013
Hi
I need help, guidance, advice..............my father,87, has started showing all of the signs of vascular dementia, difficulty finding the right words, disorientation, falling over a lot, depression, apathy, etc. but I feel I am being "fobbed off" by the medical profession.
His symptoms started 8 weeks ago and I am being told dementia does not come on that quick.
In sheer frustration, last Thursday after his latest bad fall, I took him to A & E where they kept him in overnight and ran a huge battery of tests. All the tests, blood, urine, x-rays, heart monitor and brain scan all came back clear and so he was discharged. They advised me to go back to his GP and ask for a Geriatric Psych Assessment but the GP said this is not needed yet.
My Mother is 82 and is finding him increasing difficult to cope with, last week he was found outside on his mobility scooter in the middle of the night.
Everything I have read says early treatment is essential for vascular dementia.
Does anyone know of any associations / agencies I could contact to try and get the help and guidence we so desperately need.
Thanking you all in advance

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Some things you could try...

Work with your mum to start a diary and record all the symptoms and challenges that both of you notice thought the day. Record the time, how long it lasted, whether there were any underlying reasons eg. Whether he was over tired. The diary can then be taken to any medical appointments including A&E! This gives them a historical record of what is going on.

Contact Social Services and ask for a care assessment for your dad and a carers assessment for your mum. Use words like vulnerable and at risk to get further up the list!

Maybe you could visit their GP surgery and enquire whether any doctor has a particular interest in geriatric medicine, or neurology or mental health issues and make an appointment to see that Dr and not their usual one.

Next time and every time your dad falls or shows what you consider to be neurological problems, then phone an ambulance. Do not take him to hosp yourself. Reason being is twofold...if he is taken by ambulance then a report will be sent to his GP and if you do it all yourself you risk being seen to be coping well as a family and this undermines the urgency of needing things investigated and may also move you down the list with social services. Let them believe you are not readily available and that your mum is having to cope on her own.

Find a new place for your mum to leave the keys that your dad doesn't know about so he can't wander outside the house at might. If necessary put an additional lock on the door, BUT make sure that in the event of a fire they could easily find the keys and get out. You might even want to think about installing a key safe outdoors so emergency services can gain immediate access if necessary. Just in case he does go missing then put a card in the pocket of all his jackets saying he has dementia and to call either the police or, say, your phone number.

As your dad is apt to get up during the night and has a history of falls, take a critical look at the house and make it as safe as possible for him, eg remove any trip hazards such as rugs and assess whether he is still capable of using appliances such as kettles or the stove or a gas fire etc. if the house is safe and the doors are locked then your mum might be able to get more sleep knowing he can't come to any harm.

Fiona

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
just a thought, gp surgerys are usually online too and often list the gps in the practice and their speciality and/ or interests re treating patients..

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hello coffee addict, It may also be worth reading up on Attendance Allowance and thinking about a Lasting Power of Attorney.

turbo

nicoise

Jun 29, 2010
Everything I have read says early treatment is essential for vascular dementia

Any medication prescribed specifically for vascular dementia might only slow down the progress of the disease, but sadly is not a miracle cure:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vascular-dementia/Pages/Treatment.aspx

but any changes to lifestyle issues that might be contributing towards vascular impairment can only be a good thing, and having a full check-up at the GP to either rule out or treat any underlying physical problems might help.

coffee addict

Sep 18, 2013
Thank you all so very much!!!

Thank you all for your comments / suggestions

After another very bad night on Thursday, I took your advice and phoned an ambulance. He is still in hospital having more tests, scans, etc. but at least I feel that something is happening.
Social services & an occupational therapist are coming to see Mum and I on Friday to see how best to adapt their flat.
He is now under a different GP at the surgery who is much more pro-active and has been speaking, daily, to the hospital.

Thank you all again