Help needed with social services

daisy33

Jan 5, 2014
Hi,
hope somebody out there can help me.MY husband (60) has AD and is deteriorating at an alarming rate. No recognition of where he lives, rambling conversation ,angry, agitated and very paranoid .feeling very vulnerable at the moment .worried about his safety as he was found wandering not knowing where he was ( I have to work ) bills pilling up.
waiting for an assessment from social services at the moment , trying to get day care for him so I know he is safe .Anyone out there know what I should expect, or what I need to ask for .Near breaking point , need some respite.....husband up at least four times a night and he is getting more and more angry.....

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi Daisy

I am so sorry to see how distraught you are at the moment.

Firstly keep on to SS to get both a carers assessment and an assessment for your husband urgently.

Is your husband under the care of a memory clinic? If so have you a CPN? A community psychiatric nurse, who can advise and offer advice about difficult behaviour, all these things should be in place to support you and your husband.

Please keep posting, we either are walking the same path as you or we have walked it before you, and will help support you both.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Welcome, Daisy, although I'm sorry you have to join us. Ring your SS and tell them that you can't cope any longer and and will have to leave if they can't do an urgent assessment. Tell them that your OH is in danger from his wandering, which he is and could end up in hospital if found by the police. They have a duty of care. Presumably you have been referred by the Memory Clinic or your GP. You should have 2 assessments, one for your OH and a carer's assessment for your needs.

I am sure someone will be able to give you more advice but just wanted to say that you have come to the right place for understanding and compassion. We are all at different stages of the same journey and know how devasting this horrible disease is. Hope you get some help soon
Sent from my GT-N5110

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Welcome, Daisy, although I'm sorry you have to join us. Ring your SS and tell them that you can't cope any longer and and will have to leave if they can't do an urgent assessment. Tell them that your OH is in danger from his wandering, which he is and could end up in hospital if found by the police. They have a duty of care. Presumably you have been referred by the Memory Clinic or your GP. You should have 2 assessments, one for your OH and a carer's assessment for your needs.

I am sure someone will be able to give you more advice but just wanted to say that you have come to the right place for understanding and compassion. We are all at different stages of the same journey and know how devasting this horrible disease is. Hope you get some help soon
Sent from my GT-N5110

I'm so sorry for your situation and agree with everything that has been said. The highlighted words are vital. I sincerely hope that where you live, you have a fantastic Social Services, but as some of us haven't been so fortunate, be prepared to have to be insistent! Good luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch