help needed picking nails

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Has anyone got any ideas on how i can stop my husband pulling his hair and picking his nails (thats hand and toes) he pulls them down very low so they bleed and are sore. I have tried to stop him but as you all know thats imposible. Has anyone else had this problem?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Is your Husband agitated Chip? If so, perhaps it would help to check with your GP. S/he may want to recommend some sedation.
Even so, this habit , as well as being distressing for you, could cause an infection, especially in someone who`s below par.

Sorry not to be of more help. Grannie G

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
He has just had a very agitated tantrum .i was on the phone to friends in England. Been invited down as well My son was in the house so we tried an experiment. I went into the bathroom to talk on the phone. My husband thought i was away he kicked the chair my son was sitting in and tried to punch him. He went up and down the stairs whistling constantly. I came down the stairs and low and behold he stopped. All is quiet now. He has calmed down since i came down I have medication to calm him but when he is like that he will not take it. He is also on medication for myoclonics and that contains diazepam. I need a break.
He was at the GP last week GP asked him how he was of course he said fine.Back in 8weeks. If i didn't laugh about it i would cry if i didn't screem i would pull my hair out ooppss its hubby that does that. Think you have all been there.

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
Picking

have you tried putting something in his hands like a rubbber ball or ring , my husband use to pick at the chair till he wore a hole in it then proceeded to make it bigger, he had a cigarette lighter holder he was very fond of , very smooth and shaped,though he had by then stopped smoking , i took out the lighter and put the case in his hands , it nearly worked ,.good luck. ANGELA.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hi Chip

Can I suggest you keep a short diary of your husband`s behaviour and see the doctor on your own. If it`s difficult for you to get away without him, write a letter to your doctor, explaining the situation.

This is what I do when I want to discuss my husband . I don`t like to be disloyal, but whenever he sees any medics, he always says he`s fine.

You can`t cope with this behaviour indefinitely and if the doctor doesn`t know the full story, your husband won`t get the best treatment.

Good Luck Grannie G

chip

Jul 19, 2005
Scotland
Thanks will try that. Hope to get out to get a book weather bad. Hope to be able to go to a course for carers run by vocal a nurse dietian and cmplimentary therapist will be there on how to look after youself. Anyone been to any of these?Although i find it hard to with all the fighting i have to do (still no word from a social worker) also i am doing a lot of research and found things out about carers rights and what the Care 21 task group for when i get a social worker as it is not happening what i have found out as i get no short break respite opportunities and i am not on my own. www.sharedcarescotland.com/news/RespiteTaskGroup.php i no this is to do with Scotland though.

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
social worker

After looking after my husband for 4 years i asked for a carer's assesment by a social worker. i had not had one in all this time!!!i was fobbed off for a while but persisted and lo and behold i now have some short break vouchers to spend on some home care and my husband has been in respite twice and is due to go again soon. So if you keep quite i think you are forgotten.You must make youself heard:eek:

Cynron x x

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Chip
I have been trying to find out if there is any laid down periods for granting of respite.
I have so far found very little evidence of any such guidance.
There is a great variance between areas and it sems Scotland is even more complicated.
Keep in touch Regards
Norman

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Chip
I am also in Scotland.
My parents lived in Glasgow before moving to live beside me in South Lanarkshire. In both areas I have found with social work, that if you patiently wait for them to "look into things" it will take a very long time. The only way I have ever got action from them, was to annoy them and lose patience. I think people who have no one to care for them, get priority and I am not complaining about that. As long as there are people like us, who are willing to care for our family, social work will keep stalling, until we have had enough and we make it known. This has been my experience in both Glasgow and Lanark
Alfjess

DickG

Feb 26, 2006
Stow-on-the-Wold
Hi Chip

Mary's is exactly the same as your husband. With me it is all sweetness and light and with others she is , to be frank, a cow except with two friends of mine who have been in the caring profession for many years. This is the childlike manifestation of AD and should be dealt with in the same way that you would a child. I refuse to let her behaviour affect the way I treat her, she will have to accept that she will be left in the company of others and that I have a life to lead.

It may be hard but what else can I do? Descend into despair?

I know it is not easy but you must be strong.

Hugs

Dick

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JL513