Help needed by Magic again!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Magic,

Doesn't sound like your brother is a real estate agent either. Nor is he a carer for that matter....

The lift is essential to maintain your parents' quality of life and to prevent injury and accidents to all of you. Ignore his whingeing.....

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear Magic, sorry to hear about all your troubles. I think the lulus rendition of shout should be the song for today, thats what i had to do or we would still be waiting for mums shower to be fitted ikept ohoning everyone i could think of from the S/S to the council the planning office who wanted to know how i got there number i am a real detective also the builder when i found his name and none of them new what the other was doining but i got fed up and thretend that anyone of them would have to come and try to bath mum every morning because i was nolonger willing to do it because it was to much of a danger to both of us, they soon got moving wish id tried it months ago.How come nurses are not allowed to lift patients on there own does anyone consider us or are we super human? Norman shall i tell you what happened to getting the carers champion were would we find any one with enough clout who cares?COME ON LETS SHOUT NOW IM FEELING ALLLLRIGHT! luv storm

B

bjthink

storm said:
Dear Magic, sorry to hear about all your troubles. I think the lulus rendition of shout should be the song for today, thats what i had to do or we would still be waiting for mums shower to be fitted ikept ohoning everyone i could think of from the S/S to the council the planning office who wanted to know how i got there number i am a real detective also the builder when i found his name and none of them new what the other was doining but i got fed up and thretend that anyone of them would have to come and try to bath mum every morning because i was nolonger willing to do it because it was to much of a danger to both of us, they soon got moving wish id tried it months ago.How come nurses are not allowed to lift patients on there own does anyone consider us or are we super human? Norman shall i tell you what happened to getting the carers champion were would we find any one with enough clout who cares?COME ON LETS SHOUT NOW IM FEELING ALLLLRIGHT! luv storm

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Storm,

Well of course you're supposed to be able to lift your mother out of the bath!

It's in your job description - along with working 24/7; existing on a maximum of 2.25 hours sleep per night; assisting with toileting; answering repetitive questions; all general household duties and shopping, as well as bookkeeping, private secretarial duties and all other unspecified tasks.

Did I hear you mutter 'assistance'? Don't push your luck .....

Let's all buy megaphones before we get sore throats!

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
hi Jude, Why do these so called professional people treat us like morons today i spoke to the incontinance nurse about mums pads she has given us the most adsorbant ones and when i told her they were better than the last ones but she was still wet in the morning she got quite angry and asked if i was tucking them in correctly as they couldnt be leaking!ohsorry i told her the wet clothes must be a figment of my imagination ,she was not amused i wonder why she doesnt have to wash them, dont worry i told her i will cope with the pads just dont patronise me.Another good one was when the mental health lady came to do a assesment do you work she asked yes full time i replied oh what do you do she asked 24/7 CARING i replied! what the devil does she think i do.I really am a nice person underneath,they just get my goat with such sillyness.storm

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Stormy I'm glad you're living up to your name. Give them hell baby, they deserve it. No one listens to us carers neither doctors or anyone else. I told that doc on Sunday mum had another chest infection starting, I was with her all day today and they still haven't decided wether to go IV again or oral antibiotics.

I was fitted for the walk in shower this morning, (hope it fits me!) they said it will be in in 3 weeks and I phoned OT about the lift and they said it's been passed to estates dept now, still have heard nothing from CPN and mum will be in a month on Mon.

Love the shout song. Will be singing it in my head all day now.

My Sister caringly told me today as I fed mum that if this infection clears I should get her home as soon as poss. Yes certainly madam, would you like fries with that? Anything else I can do for you? Will you be coming over to nurse mum 24 hours, oh no, hang on, that's my job. How could I possibly forget? Maybe I have too much on my plate.

Family! What are they like?????

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi all, good grief you've all been busy! Magic, I feel "Imagine" coming on somehow. Storm, as Magic says, live up to your name, give em hell! The cheek of it, must be you doing them up wrong, honestly makes you want scream as well as shout. Well, I can tell you, Mum could go hours without a tiddle, but when she went, well it wasn't just the pad, the kylie, the sheets, the lot were soaked. But you've got the last laugh my love 'cause no one can say she's not getting enough fluids can they! Magic, take no notice of the silly remarks by siblings, just not worth the energy, save what you can after caring for yourself, not them! Sounds as if the lift is moving forward slightly, hope things all happen at once and your Mum is soon able to come home. I felt like you when my Mum had been in that long, couldn't wait to get her home, but couldn't get the package sorted in real time not administrative time if you know what I mean. Love to you all, She. XX

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Sorry She and Stormy, but all this talk about tiddles has that old 70s song "Yellow River" going around in my head. Really sorry, I apologise prefusely, I'm just not normal with these constant blinking theme tunes. It's an affliction, I do it all day.

Think things are moving a bit but have another ace up my sleeve, will let you know if I pull it off.

Keep singin' troops.

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Magic, then you'll change "From a Joker to a Clown" that wasn't by Muddy Waters was it, OH dear, sorry sorry, no I will say no more!!!! :D Love She. XX

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear Magic, try and see if you can find the estates dept no and give them a ring, the S/W didnt like it much when i started phoning every one i could think of but believe me it worked.If nothing else it might take your mind off the horrible time your having, chin up bottom in and smile luv storm

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Just thought of one RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH think about it im sure the connections there somewhere,storm

B

bjthink

storm said:
Just thought of one RIVER DEEP MOUNTAIN HIGH think about it im sure the connections there somewhere,storm

Today, my mother was approachable. With trepidation in my heart and a new delivery of medication for her, I had to visit her, despite my fears. We had a food consignment from Tesco, and when I'd put all the teabags from the order in her canister, she decided that I should hand over the 'silver paper' in which they were wrapped. She then shredded this into one inch squares and said how useful these are in 'wrapping bits', whatever that means.
Hey ho.
My mother's new song.......
"I can see clearly now the rain is gone"

Yup, mum, you sure can! You and the silver paper!

"It's a bright, bright, sunshiney day!"
:)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi guys,

Good idea about the Estates Department. Magic do give them a ring - in fact give them several a day until they get sick of the aggro and DO something. Hope the Ace up your sleeve wins the game....

Storm - the SS think we are moronic [a] because we are not paid a salary and therefore not 'valid' and no sane person would choose 'the job from Hell' in a sqillion years. Trouble is that they have got us all between a rock and a hard place, because they're banking on the fact that we won't walk away from 'family and responsibilities'. Well, not until we become completely mentally unhinged due to lack of sleep and stress and are forced to place our loved ones in Nursing Homes.

Last year I totalled up my 'wages' due for caring. It amounted to about 11,000 pounds per month. So multiply that by every carer.... Little wonder that we are saving the Goverment approximately 700 billion pounds a year.

Jude

storm

Aug 10, 2004
notts
Dear Jude, I AM TOTALLY FED UP BY READING THINGS that our coming out of the mouths of Blair and Ladyman about what a great job carers are doing and how they should be valued and reconised they are just words i would love to speak to them both and put our cards on the table and say WE NEED ACTION NOT WORDS. storm

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Storm,

Followed up by PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS..........

It's a pity we don't have a Carer's Trade Union. Now there's a thought!

Jude

Mjaqmac

Mar 13, 2004
Hi Jude, thanks for asking.

Had more paperwork for shower filled in this morning, it will be some time before that is installed. However I was led to believe the lift would be very soon (after Christmas they told me at new year, they didn't mention Christmas of any particular year or century!) and as usual have had no joy yet. I really need that lift for mum to get her back into her own room, I will have to sleep her downstairs when she comes home which is going to be a bit of a nightmare for dad and with mum's disorientation and the lay out of the house etc, it will be very awkward. She's absolutely, fine, safe and accident proof in her own room. We'll have to manage.

She is not making any signs of improvement yet with the chest infection, she was very bad over the weekend and ripped the IV line out twice on Sat. I'm feeling tired and sad and dad is still very depressed and anxious. Just the way all us carers feel most of the time. She has been in the hospital a month today and the work could have been done and finished if they had carried it out when they said they would. In the meantime the sibling was chipping away at dad at mum's hospital bedside on Sat about silly to put holes in the ceiling etc, just more mess and disruption. Et tu, Brute?

Last edited:

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Magic,

Sounds like it's going to be a bit of a huge headache all round when Mum comes home. Can you keep on nagging your MP? I know it's really wearing to have to do so but as you say, they've had plenty of time to do all the work during the last month. Have you had any luck with ringing the Estates Department? It's a pretty slack arrangement timewise - this is rather an emergency situation isn't it?

Don't suppose you could suggest to the sib that he might like to come over night and morning to assist in helping your mother up/downstairs? At least it might stop the undermining.....

Hang in there!

Jude xx