Help! Mum is stressing me out.

Roseleigh

Dec 26, 2016
I was in the supermarket queue the other day and in front of me was a women well over 70 pushing her mum in a wheelchair. I know it was her mum because she called her mum. This old lady must have been well in to her nineties and it frightened me. It's just seemed so unfair to see an elderly lady pushing another very elderly lady round the shop. I am not that old yet, a mere 62 year old but it was depressing.

This is going to happen more and more as people live longer isnt it?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
This is going to happen more and more as people live longer isnt it?

Blimey @Roseleigh it seems like years ago that I posted that but apparently it was only a couple of months ago. I am 63 now and one year fades into another.

I really fear that I am going to become that woman, dad is 89 and a half and could probably last another 4 or 5 years if his cancer doesn't get him first and to be honest that seems less and less likely as the years go by. How awful am I to think that way but yes you are right, as people live longer this will happen more and more.

It's depressing.

molliep

Researcher
Aug 16, 2018
Leeds
Blimey @Roseleigh it seems like years ago that I posted that but apparently it was only a couple of months ago. I am 63 now and one year fades into another.

I really fear that I am going to become that woman, dad is 89 and a half and could probably last another 4 or 5 years if his cancer doesn't get him first and to be honest that seems less and less likely as the years go by. How awful am I to think that way but yes you are right, as people live longer this will happen more and more.

It's depressing.

You are not awful to think that way at all @Duggies-girl. I've heard many other people with loved ones facing both dementia and cancer say the exact same. x

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
I was in the supermarket queue the other day and in front of me was a women well over 70 pushing her mum in a wheelchair. I know it was her mum because she called her mum. This old lady must have been well in to her nineties and it frightened me. It's just seemed so unfair to see an elderly lady pushing another very elderly lady round the shop. I am not that old yet, a mere 62 year old but it was depressing.
This is me. I'm 70 and when I can persuade Mum to go out from her care home i wheel her around in a wheel chair . Mum is 95. I don't consider myself elderly but my Mum definite is !

Philly81

Sep 4, 2017
I completely understand the overwhelming feeling of this is the rest of my life labelled 'a Carer'. I'm 38 and a full time carer of my grandmother who is 91. The only thing we can do as carers is take one day at a time x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968