Help! Medication info.

alice b

May 7, 2005
Essex
My mum has recently been diagnosed with temperal fronto lobe dementia,
My dad has been stressing out about trying to get her some medication that might be able to improve her quality of life. She lives in a foggy, low and isolating world. Tacrine has been reported on but no one seems to know how to get hold of it. We think that mum has been progressing for the past three years and I feel so helpless. She is embarrised about who she has become and we all want to do something that might help her regain herself in some way. I have already read alot of mum in the forum and hope that someone can guide us.
Alice b.

Last edited:

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Alice, you need to talk to your Mum's medical team about this. They are the only ones who can really advise you as they have your Mum's medical notes to go on. It could be dangerous to try any medications without their approval and guidance. Love She. XX

alice b

May 7, 2005
Essex
thank you.

Thanks, she for your reply. I do agree that any medication should be under medical care but we just seem to be getting nowhere. Mum and dad have been to their GP, consultant neurologist and a memory clinic and had no luck. I said to my dad that maybe we are looking for something that doesn't exist, or maybe mum hasn't progressed enough for any sort of medication. I have been reading Christine Bryden's new book to mum and she seems to think that the medication has improved her condition. But she is an amazing woman that has truly travelled with her dementia.
Thanks again Alice b.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Alice,

Welcome to Talking Point.

Your mother's recent diagnosis must have been very difficult. My father-in-law was only formally diagnosed several months ago (vascular dementia and Alzheimer's disease). Since then it has been a very steep learning curve and, like you, we have been doing much research into treatment and support.

From what I understand (little), temperal fronto lobe dementia can be quite different from the dementia caused by Alzheimer's. This can make it very difficult to get the type of assistance needed. Also, it can make it harder for other people to understand why the person with this type of dementia does not "fit" their picture (quite probably based on little information) of someone with dementia.

If you have not heard of it yet, can I recommend the Pick's Disease Support Group(PDSG), designed to support people with temperal fronto lobe dementia and their families. Their web site has a lot of very useful information: Pick's Disease Support Group

If you've enjoyed Christine Bryden's insights, there is an excellent article on the PDSG web site. It is called "Pick's from the Inside Out" and it is written by Dr Bob Fay who has Pick's Disease:
Dr Bob Fay's story

Take care,

Sandy

alice b

May 7, 2005
Essex
Thank you for your advice.

Thank you Sandy.
The information about the Pick's support was great some great experiences shared. Although the forum on the site seems to be abandoned. But that led me to a yahoo PD forum. I've posted a note about my mum and resent events. She's very low at the moment and has expressed that she want's to end it all. We have only found out recently that my dad has got hypertension and I think she feels responsible. She also though that me having my daughter might help her 'snap out of it'. We had a good heart to heart even though conversation is difficult, I hope I made a difference.