Help me to stop the abuse and neglect in some of our nursing/care homes

Cackett

Feb 13, 2015
My mother was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. In July of last year our local social services moved my mother to a nursing home . You may have seen the national press/TV coverage with some shocking photographs. My mother was very badly neglected and is now on end-of-life care. There is currently a police investigation into this.

The more I have been delving into this, the more horrified I have become and have come to realise that there are sub-standard nursing/care homes up and down the country.

We have started up a petition to make the Government take notice of what is happening to our vulnerable loved ones who cannot answer for themselves. Please could you help us to stop this by signing our petition

If we get 100,000 signatures the Government will debate this issue. The petition can be signed by going to the HM Government e-petitions website. The heading is Care Home neglect and abuse.

Thank you so much for your help

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfolkgirl

Account Closed
Jul 18, 2012
My mother was diagnosed with dementia a few years ago. In July of last year our local social services moved my mother to a nursing home . You may have seen the national press/TV coverage with some shocking photographs. My mother was very badly neglected and is now on end-of-life care. There is currently a police investigation into this.

The more I have been delving into this, the more horrified I have become and have come to realise that there are sub-standard nursing/care homes up and down the country.

We have started up a petition to make the Government take notice of what is happening to our vulnerable loved ones who cannot answer for themselves. Please could you help us to stop this by signing our petition

If we get 100,000 signatures the Government will debate this issue. The petition can be signed by going to the HM Government e-petitions website. The heading is Care Home neglect and abuse.

I have signed this however be mindful once you have entered your details and email address because you will receive an email to verify those details which may end up being sent automatically to your Spam folder (as it did with me) and could easily be missed. Your signature isn't yet counted until you click on the link which is sent to your email address.

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Thanks Norfolkgirl, my confirmation email had ended up in my spam box and I could easily have overlooked it.

teahound

Apr 19, 2013
Hi Cackett,

So sorry you are having to go through this awful situation. I've signed the petition and wish you all the very best.

Teahound
x

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Hello

I have in the past tried several times to get e petitions started
( particularly about demenia and old age )
They have all failed miserably with the most 300petitions
When you consider that you need to get 100,000petitions to have any impact it is a daunting experience
Nevertheless I continue to support most petitions because I know that someone has put their heart into the effort
All those that I have done personally I have sent a copy of the petition ( with a covering letter ) to my local MP , to the council chief executive and the leaders of the local political parties
It has always given me some satisfaction that I have made those responsible for my petition aware that we are making ourselves heard ( even if it gets rejected through ;time out’)
I am sure your petition is justified , I have signed it , and hope that it is successful
But even if it does not reach the post you can be aware that you have tried
Best wishes
Jimbo

Open (14/02/2015 )5,580
Closed 26,472
Rejected 27,628

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions?order=asc&page=1&sort=title&state=rejected

E-Petitions and the Backbench Business Committee

http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ct/backbench-business-committee/e-petitions-/

Stage 1
An E-petition gets 100,000 signatures
The Leader of the House writes to the Backbench Business Committee to notify the Committee that an e-petition has 100,000 signatures. This does not guarantee a debate in the Commons, but triggers consideration by the Committee. There are two possibilities:
Stage 2
A backbench MP makes representation in support
A backbench MP makes representation in support of a debate on the subject of the e-petition at the Committee's weekly meeting. These are public and can be watched on Parliament TV.
No MP appears before the Committee
No MP appears before the Committee to ask for a debate on the e-petition topic
The Committee can only consider an e-petition for a debate if an MP comes to make a case for the subject to be debated. You can contact your own MP to ask them to do this.
Find your MP.

Stage 3
The Committee decides whether to allocate a debate on the subject of the e-petition
If a backbench MP makes a representation the Committee decides whether to allocate a debate on the subject of the e-petition. To do this, the Committee will consider:
Topicality, -Why holding a debate is important
the number of MPs who are likely to take part
Whether a debate has already been held or is likely to be arranged through other routes.
Consider an e-petition for a debate if an MP comes to make a case for the subject to be debated. You can contact your own MP to ask them to do this.
Find your MP.

Read more
http://www.parliament.uk/business/c...ct/backbench-business-committee/e-petitions-/

NOTE
e-petitions will be taking a break on 30 March 2015 as Parliament prepares for the General Election Find out more
The current Parliament closes on 30 March 2015 to prepare for the General Election in May 2015. It’s not possible to accept any new petitions or provide a Government response to an existing petition once Parliament closes.
Until 30 March 2015 you can still create and sign e-petitions, however they’re likely to be open for less time than usual.
e-petitions will be back following the General Election

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
I've signed.
Sadly, it isn't just LA placements. My dad is self funding, but due to the complexities of his condition, only one home would take him. The majority of residents are LA funded. I don't have an issue with that, but it does annoy me that he's paying double the rate for the same poor standard of care. I can't find anywhere else that'll take him, and tbh it would be so cruel to do that to him now. I've wanted to move him since the day he arrived. I have reported several incidences of neglect to the CQC. This home still remains without a good CQC report , but have many new residents arriving. I despair!

I'm with you all the way!

leicester61

Aug 26, 2012
Leicestershire

Signed it
good luck xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet