Help leaning problem is getting worse

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband is 65 and has had Alzheimer's for 4 years. He has been leaning to the right since September. The doctor says he has not had a stroke but can see that he is lean to the right and thinks it is the Alzheimer's that is causing it. So he is leaning to the right and has a rounded back because he is looking down at his feet when he walks as well.

The problem is getting worse and he is leaning so far over he is almost falling over when he is sitting at the dinner table. I have looked online and just found a chair with arms in the Swedish furniture store so that might help at dinner time but he also needs a comfortable chair to sit in while watch telly that will help keep him upright. The sofa arms were too low to support him so he is now using a chair and I am propping him up with cushions in at the right side. He just looks so uncomfortable and I would love to find something more supportive for him.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Bill leans to the left when he sits but not when he walks. I got a chair with arms for the dinner table and that does help. I also bought a riser recliner for him and that is making it much easier for him to get out of the sitting position as it takes him to almost standing. It hasn't really solved the problem of his leaning. The other night I was afraid he was going to tip the chair over! I put a V shaped cushion behind him but take one end of the 'v' under his arm - if you see what I mean! It does help a bit. I think I made a mistake by ordering a chair from the Internet. I think it's a bit wide for him so gives him leeway for leaning. . I wanted something quickly because the problem of him getting up was foremost in my mind. I now think I should have gone to a store that looks at the size of the person and provides the appropriate size. They are much more expensive but I think would have been worth it.

Sorry I can't suggest anything re the walking. Has the OT any suggestions?

Edit - oops - just noticed Beate's post!

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Beate, an OT was out about hand rails outside in August and referred my husband to Social work for an assessment when she saw him walking around the house The social worker phoned me in October and asked if I needed my husband assessed for help with showering, I said yes. They have finally got back to me last week and a social worker is coming out next Monday, so I will as her for advice when she is here.

I went round some stores today while he was at daycare and I found lots of chairs were too wide for him Izzy. He will need something very supportive but I also want something comfortable as well. At the moment he can stand up no problem so I had not looked at the recliner/riser chairs.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hello. We use a recliner chair for my mother, and we also got her a well-padded straight chair from an office furniture company. We chose the sturdy but nicely cushioned straight chair because we could put pillows in it on either side and in back, to assist with keeping her from leaning. Because we were having trouble moving her, now that she is no longer ambulatory (she can stand but can't really move her limbs), we decided to use the recliner (which goes nearly flat out) as her bed, also. This way, it is easier to handle her - easier than a hospital bed.

I'm sorry. It is very hard to see them leaning. We use the straight chair (which has deep arms) when my mother is particularly bad with her leaning. We use bed pillows to support her bad arm and pillows around her to keep her as straight as possible.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA
Hello. We use a recliner chair for my mother, and we also got her a well-padded straight chair from an office furniture company. We chose the sturdy but nicely cushioned straight chair because we could put pillows in it on either side and in back, to assist with keeping her from leaning. Because we were having trouble moving her, now that she is no longer ambulatory (she can stand but can't really move her limbs), we decided to use the recliner (which goes nearly flat out) as her bed, also. This way, it is easier to handle her - easier than a hospital bed.

I'm sorry. It is very hard to see them leaning. We use the straight chair (which has deep arms) when my mother is particularly bad with her leaning. We use bed pillows to support her bad arm and pillows around her to keep her as straight as possible.

This link is to the chair we bought. My mother is tiny, but one of her caregivers is not, and we wanted a chair that could handle a heavy-set woman but also handle my mother well-padded by bedpillows. It works for us.

http://office-chairs.nationalbusinessfurniture.com/Solid-Fabric-Belmont-Guest-Chair-53976.aspx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Carol it might be worth considering the riser chair in preparation for the future. HSL opened a branch here after I had bought our chair. I looked there last week. The chap was very helpful. They do chairs in petite, standard and large. They go by the person's height, weight etc. They are lovely chairs but not cheap

I asked the OT about one but Bill couldn't get one from them as he has a hospital bed. Here you can get one or the other from them but not both.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
We have a highly supportive chair called a Sorrento chair which the ot provided for us.my husband leans to the left and even with this he needs cushions to keep his arms up instead of leaning on them. Is is better used with a hoist, quite high off the ground. Worth asking though. We also have a hospital bed.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Thanks Izzy that's it. It's highly supportive and also tilt in space so good for relieving pressure areas. Also very lightweight and easily moved on those large casters

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It does look good but I don't think Bill is at that stage yet. It's always hard to know when to anticipate the next set of needs.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
No it's a bit soon from an ordinary recliner when support and pressure relief are necessary.also not that easy to get into without hoisting.they are adjusted to measure but even that doesn't stop the lean to the left. Lots of adjust.ent for comfort. Just worth knowing about though I think.

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
Hi NanLorac, my mum does this now and then. Sometimes this seems to happen when she is constipated. It can fix itself afterwards. It's so unclear though and all guess work.

She also holds her left arm strangely, as if she's lost the use of it. Then it corrects itself.

x

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Thanks Beate, liked that one.:D

My husband is not at the stage that he needs the Sorrento chair and I am frightened to get a recliner chair because if he needed to stand up, he would end up climbing out of the seat and I'm afraid he will hurt himself. He stands up and wanders about all the time.

The support worker had Cam out this morning while I had tried a few other stores. He agreed with me about the recliner chair, so I am going to take Cam to Ikea for the dining chair this afternoon ( free coffee ) and I will keep looking for a comfortable chair next week when I have cover because walking around with him is not easy. My left arm is aching from yesterday. My Mum said to get a piece of foam which would be firmer and put that in at the right side because pillows are too soft, so that's another option.

Carol x

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
The Sorrento chair may be too advanced but there is a point worth mentioning for anyone else. Because it's tilt in space the whole chair tilts and its very difficult to climb out of.

Risa

Apr 13, 2015
Essex
Hi NanLorac, the Red Cross loan out chairs so it could be worth seeing what they have that could be suitable and then try before you buy :)

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
CJ, that chair is the type of thing I need but with a higher back as he falls asleep all the time.

We got the dining chair in Ikea so sitting at the dining table won't be a problem now. He liked a wing chair they had but I struggled walking with him round the store. I can see me having to using a wheelchair soon. The free coffee was good.:)

The social worker is out on Monday so I will see if she has any advice before I go any further with the other chair.

Attachments

• nils chair.JPG
    nils chair.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 392

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mshaw6