1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

    As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

    Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Help knowing what financial support we can get

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by Molly J, Jul 22, 2019.

  1. Molly J

    Molly J New member

    Jul 22, 2019
    I have power of attorney over my ex husbands affairs and have now moved him into a bungalow close to me and our children, I am not sure where to start and what entitlements he can have, we are looking after him at home and dealing with his day to day care but we cannot get him to bathe so again need help and guidance from somewhere.
  2. nellbelles

    nellbelles Volunteer Host

    Nov 6, 2008
    #2 nellbelles, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  3. Hayley0110

    Hayley0110 New member

    Jul 23, 2019
    Hello molly.
    One of the first benefits tou should apply for is attendance allowance this is not means tested but needs tested. Once this is granted you could them also apply for carers allowance. Depending on his age if he is under 65 you could also look at applying for personal independence payments. These benefits can help with the cost of care which is needed. My next suggestion would be contacting the adult care division at your local counsel who can come and talk to you both and do a care assessment recommend services and also help set up a care plan for the future.
    Hope this helps for any further advice I recommend the book carers handbook by Jane Matthew's I found it very helpful
  4. Sirena

    Sirena Registered User

    Feb 27, 2018
    You firstly need to ring Adult Social Services in your area - google for their number - and ask for a needs assessment for him. SS should then provide carers who can carry out personal care such as washing him.

    If he is over state pension age, you should apply for Attendance Allowance on his behalf. He cannot have both PIP and AA, only one or the other.


    The forms are lengthy but it is well worth doing, so please don't be put off. As you have LPA you can fill in and sign the forms for him, you then send a certified copy of the LPA with the form.

    You can use his AA for whatever you works best - you could for example use it to pay for a carer to come in to help him, if the care SS offer is not sufficient.
  5. witts1973

    witts1973 Registered User

    Jun 20, 2018
    Leamington Spa
    Hi with regards to claiming attendance allowance it's best to get help filling the forms in,I used the CAB who were a great help as they know what answers you should give and mum was successful at first attempt,they will guide you through it,mum gained the higher amount as she needs some help at night too as I'm sure you do sometimes,some people use AGE UK to help fill the forms in,what ever is easier for you to get to.
    I have provided a link that tells you how to get the forms,move swiftly and the claim will be dated from when you first made contact and it will be back dated to the first contact date when your claim is approved https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/attendance-allowance/

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.