Help keeping her in

Lizlu

Apr 2, 2020
Hi,my mum is 82 and I'm struggling to make her understanding the severity of the coronavirus.
She lives alone and copes on her own pretty well. But I'm having trouble getting her to stop in, she goes to our local shop and is totally unaware of social distancing. She is very sociable and loves to stand and talk to people.
I've put up poster's on the door telling her she has to stay in, without much luck.
I just wondered if anyone else has this problem or if anyone else has any ideas
Thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to DTP Lizlu. It's a worrying time for everyone at the moment but there's lots of support here. Trying to keep someone safe when they want to go out is really difficult to deal with, and there are others here that are having the same problem. You seem to be doing everything you can, but take a look at the sub-forum here which is specifically for coronavirus related issues and you may find some other suggestions which could help:

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @Lizlu, a warm welcome to the forum. It does seem to be quite a common problem at the moment - so you are not on your own. I think the reality is that Mum won't come to terms with the current situation - you have tried to give visual prompts that probably won't always work. The way I would perhaps view it is that she probably won't be at great risk as most people will avoid contact. The only other thing I can suggest is if she has a particular routine for going out perhaps a 'phone call at a time when you think she might be preparing to go out to apprise her of the current situation may help?
All the best and keep posting, you will find the good people on here very supportive, many will be experiencing the same as you.