Help! I'm new to all this

MrsDobbo

Sep 26, 2013
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
My mum has recently been diagnosed with Dementia and I am looking for help and advice from people who are in the same position as me.

I have been recomended Souvenaid as something that may help slow down the memory loss process and provide nutriants to the brain. Has anyone come across this? and if so is it any good?

Also, my mum is on Galantamine now, she has changed from other medication which was making he sick, so anyones experiencs of this drug would be really gratefully received,

Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello Mrs D and welcome to TP.

I'm sorry about your mum's diagnosis but glad you found this forum. You will find lots of help and support here. Do you know which form of dementia your mum has? I'm imagining Alzheimer's due to the galantamine.

I have no experience if Souvenaid but I believe some other members do. I hope they will be along soon to share their experience.

Take care.

MrsDobbo

Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for responding Izzy

We have just been told its dementia, Alzheimers hasn't been confirmed but this is another problem I have as my mum is being a bit secretive about things and won't tell me everything that the doctor is telling her. She doesn't even tell me when she has appointments as she knows that I will want to come. I don't know if this behaviour is part of the illness or because she just doesn't want to worry me.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's a shame. It would be better if she let you go to the appointments with her. I found this absolutely necessary with my husband. Do you have Power of Attorney? If not it would be good to get your mum to agree to this. The doctor might agree to discuss your mum's problems with you but possibly not without you having POA.

MrsDobbo

Sep 26, 2013
I do have POA and it covers sickness. She just doesn't see that she's ill at all & my dad is the same. He won't talk to either me or my sister about it. I will try speak with the doctor to see if there is anyway I can meet with her. Thanks again