Help....husband won’t go back for diagnosis

Jayne170

Mar 13, 2018
my husband is just 60,he has been having memory problems for around 18 months and retired in June last year from work.
Last week we eventually got an appointment to see memory clinic, the lady went through all the questions she needed to ask prior to memory test, she told my husband that if he had a dementia he would lose his driving license! She then said that it was his decision if he went ahead with the test!! Obviously he now doesn’t want the test. What can I do? His memory is getting so bad, he is tired all of the time and snappy when he cannot remember things,
He has forgotten grandchildren’s names, repeats himself continually, loses things daily, the list goes on. I have M.E and fibromyalgia and am very concerned that at some point he will go out of the house and not know how to get home! Any advise would be welcomed

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Jayne170, welcome to TP. You will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

First off, the advice you were given is inaccurate. If you get a diagnosis of dementia a special test has to be done to ensure fitness to drive. If that test is passed a short term licence is usually given so that the position can be monitored. Insurers also have to be told or the insurance could be invalid. These things are important as if someone is not fit to drive they shouldn't do so as they don't just put themselves at risk.
Secondly, a diagnosis is important as, depending on the cause of any dementia and the level of symptoms, various medications to slow the progression and assistance with daily living may be available. Further, if the symptoms are caused by something other than dementia, such as depression, anxiety, vitamin B12 deficiency etc these things can be treated successfully so it's important to explore these things.
If you feel it would help to talk to one of the experts don't be afraid to phone the help-line, details as follows:-
National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.

Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Finally, do keep posting with any thoughts or questions as there is usually someone around to listen/help.