Help getting my Grandad into the right home

loobydog

Jul 13, 2018
Good Morning, I am looking for some advice. My grandfather was diagnosed with Dementia last year whilst in hospital having an operation. He was currently living with his wife and youngest daughter, both of whom are also unwell. It was reluctantly decided it would be better for my Grandad to be transferred to a care home. However things went wrong and he has ended up in a self contained flat. His health is deteriorating and despite us asking repeatedly for him to be moved we’ve been told no. I don’t know where to go for help. Can anyone here please point me in the right direction?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @loobydog and welcome to TP

It really sounds like you need to demand a needs assessment from SS you obviously don’t think your Grandad is safe, the words to use are ‘a vulnerable person’

I hope you will keep posting there is a lot of support available on the forum

loobydog

Jul 13, 2018
Hello @loobydog and welcome to TP

It really sounds like you need to demand a needs assessment from SS you obviously don’t think your Grandad is safe, the words to use are ‘a vulnerable person’

I hope you will keep posting there is a lot of support available on the forum

Hi there,

He has had an assessment by social services and they say he is fine to live independently. His doctor disagrees. My Grandfather is no longer eating and drinking. He has sores coming up all over his body. The SS don’t want to know because we have a solicitor involved and they are just trying to avoid the situation. For people who are meant to be in a caring profession I don’t see much caring going on. We don’t know what else to do and all the while this battle is going on my Grandad is paying the price!