help for wife

jonshe123

Jan 11, 2014
My wife and I have just this week found out she has dementure and I need advise with this and how to get help

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
Welcome to TP jonshe. So many people who read your post will have a good idea about what you are going through, so soon after getting the diagnosis.

One thing to remember is that your wife is still the same person that she was before the diagnosis. As you probably know, it's not possible to predict how a particular person's condition will develop but many people are able, with or without medication, to live fairly normal lives for a long time after they have been diagnosed.

You will find that there is so much advice and support on TP and if you want answers to particular questions it is pretty easy to start a thread of your own. If you follow this link:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_vb3_reading_posting

you will see a list of topics on which you might need help and you just need to click the one you need.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My wife and I have just this week found out she has dementure and I need advise with this and how to get help

Welcome, jonshe. I think you also will get lots of help and support from Talking Point's lovely members. I'm sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis, you must be reeling. Why not start a new thread (go to Forum Home, on the blue band above, choose one of the sub-forums to post on, then click 'post new thread').

Tell us a little about what you would like help with, and I guarantee you'll get lots of support and advice.

God luck.

tom0591

Dec 18, 2013

Hello.

Firstly, you will need to 'arm' yourself with information about Dementia.
It is a disgraceful fact that home carers looking after a relative are not given the information/support that they need to cope properly.

Spend a few hours on the internet researching about Dementia - it will be time well spent.

Start on this website alzheimers.org.uk and there is good information there.

There is also a NHS Guide :
NHS Home Care Dementia Guide

Many people on this forum have gone through all the difficulties that you may come across , and posting for information on this forum is a good idea.

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Find the nearest local branch of Alzheimer's Society
http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200138
they should be able to help with things like advisors, meetings and events.

Now is also the time to think about future financial arrangements, consider an LPA https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/lasting-power-of-attorney-forms
and have a good look at joint and sole accounts and what would be necessary if you had to take control of your wife's affairs in the future

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Welcome to Talking Point Jonshe, you will get support and understanding by the bucketload here, so sorry your wife has been diagnosed with dementia, there is lots of help on the medication side which may help her, we always (as people who care) feel out on a limb when the "D" word is mentioned, I know my dear dad found it so hard to accept, and before he passed away wanted to make sure my mum was OK, but she is still the same person only different and although hard, we need to try to get into their world, sadly also my mum in law has "joined" this exclusive club, and although you don't think you are doing it right, in truth you probably are:eek: keeping a loved one safe and well is what you would do anyway, it just changes when dementia comes into play, do keep a diary on day to day changes, do keep your wife's GP informed, get anything you can in writing, especially if Social Services are involved as they have such heavy demands and none of us can remember what is what;) if you do feel overwhelmed get, if only a day or so respite, just so you can clear your head, social services can arrange this, above all please take care of yourself, as you matter, keep posting on here whenever you need or indeed just want to chat, nothing on here shocks with everything going on in dementia world so someone will have had experience of the relevant concern you have.
Take care and best wishes- Chris

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi have a look at my post on the CrISP course. Also could you both go to a memory cafe ad that would be supportive to both of you. You can register with your GP as a carer which should open up the carers association. Do you know about attendance allowance and also reduction in council tax. These are all practical things and I know we all need emotional support as well. But once you get into some kind of organised support for you both, other things will follow. It's not easy but I'm learning I don't have to cope alone. My husband who is 67 was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year. Keep posting and looking on here. Best wishes.