Help for unofficial dementia type people

Kezzydog

Jul 22, 2015
i have memory loss issues as well as other disabilities but because I do not have a written diagnosis of dementia I cannot access any of the normal support available does anyone know if there is any help that I can get as I share a house with my mother who has dementia but will ot accept that she has it so is resistant to outside I twrvention because of my health needs I cannot register as a carer so cannot access any of the usual support available to carers so I would like suggestions for managing my own problematic memory loss and have support to help me manage my mothers

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Kezzydog, welcome to TP. Sorry to hear about your memory issues. I don't have a written diagnosis of dementia either or not one that any Dr will show me:rolleyes: maybe they think it will make me worse:confused: how little they understand. I too support and help a friend years my senior who evidently has ? diagnosed dementia but if she has ever been told it she's chosen, or the illness has made her forget. So understand something of your difficulties. I find it hard enough coping with my own difficulties most of the time without the problems my friend's condition brings. If I was well it would not be a problem. She is a good friend and at least I understand her,which does aid in being able to help her but not so easy if I am having a bad day.

I'm sure you'll get some more replies and support.
Best wishes
Sue:)

Jones1967

Aug 13, 2015
Southbourne, Dorset
Seeking support for my parents

My Mother is going through the diagnosis process and my father now needs help caring for her. My mother has short term memory loss and gets very angry with my father and is constantly upset. Whilst my mother has visited her GP, failed a memory test and is waiting for a brain scan, I am concerned that my father is not coping and needs support. I live close by and see them almost daily, but I know this is not enough. Any advice re support groups would be welcome. Thanks. Phil

JayGun

Jun 24, 2013
i have memory loss issues as well as other disabilities but because I do not have a written diagnosis of dementia I cannot access any of the normal support available does anyone know if there is any help that I can get as I share a house with my mother who has dementia but will ot accept that she has it so is resistant to outside I twrvention because of my health needs I cannot register as a carer so cannot access any of the usual support available to carers so I would like suggestions for managing my own problematic memory loss and have support to help me manage my mothers

What about asking Adult Services to do a needs assessment for you both?

Also, in our area having a fire safety check from the local fire service can be a gateway to all kinds of help that you might not expect. Because nobody minds having a fireman round to do a fire safety check they can act as eyes and ears for social workers, occupational therapists and doctors who might have trouble gaining access. Try it! :D

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Kezzydog, welcome to TP
Like JayGun say get an assessment for you both (presuming you are in the UK and the rules are different if you're in Scotland).
To be totally honest though I think you'll find the "usual support" is at best very little and generally none at all although I suspect given your ill health there may be more things available, however, your mother being in denial won't help but given all the things you've said I'd get the assessment done as soon as possible, to hurry things up your could say she is "a vulnerable adult" when you make the call.
best wishes
K

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan