Help for my husband in dealing with his mothers dementia

esussex

Sep 26, 2016
Hassocks, West Sussex
Hello everyone,

I'm really pleased to have found this forum, I hope this is the most relevant group to post this or would be grateful to be directed to the correct one.

My mother-in-law has dementia (I will call her E) and it seems to be progressing fast. I don't know the finer details of her diagnosis, her husband, my father-in-law keeps me at arms length. He is her primary carer at home and says he is coping, I'm not so sure but they are that kind of family and I suppose I need to respect his wishes regarding her care. The do have external help as far as I know

I am really writing on behalf of my husband, her son.

E is suffering from persistent delusions at the moment in which my husband features as the person who is supposedly stealing from her, hiding her things, sending people to her home to abuse her. There is a long list of horrible things that she believes he is doing. It appears that he is the only member of the family that this is directed at.

I try to shield him from some of the regular persistent daily phone calls by speaking to E, hearing her out and giving her some support but the fact is it is taking its toll on our family life.
My husband has become distant, angry & depressed because if the persistent accusations and doesn't know how to effectively deal with the situation.

Families are complicated and we are no exception. E and my husbands relationship wasn't without its complications before the diagnosis and I know that guilt, regret, fear and resentment all play their parts in the mixed feeling he is experiencing.

Are there any support groups available that he would be able to attend to be with other family members of dementia sufferers? I feel that if he can listen to and share his experience with others it would greatly help.
I know my husband has the desire to be the best son to E as he can but currently doesn't have the tools to help himself to do this.

I will encourage him to join this forum but am pretty sure it would not be something he would do for himself.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice

esussex

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi esussex
welcome to TP - I'm glad you found the forum too as there are many sympathetic members here and lots of useful information, so have a mooch around

it's sadly not unusual for a close family member to find themselves singled out in the way your husband has - as a person with dementia can't put their finger on what 's not right, that feeling can be focussed on someone who can 'take the blame' for everything, real or imagined - and it's so tough for the person singled out to deal with - easy enough to remind ourselves that it's not personal, it's the dementia at work when things are quiet, much trickier when facing an onslaught

I wonder if going along to a dementia/carers café might help your husband - here's a link to some services in West Sussex
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/local-information/dementia-connect#!/results/list?q=%7B%22place%22:%22west%20sussex%22%7D
and the AS factsheets have lots to mull over
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=2581
I also went on a course for carers run by my local council; might be worth checking if there's one available in your area

and I guess you could try just happening to leave your laptop open at TP and see if your husband's curiosity helped him out ..... if he happens to see this Welcome esussex's husband; hope TP can help :)

best wishes