Help for mother in law

pleb

Sep 28, 2015
My Father in law has Alzheimer s ,hes confused,accusing family of stealing,my mother in law cant do wrong for right ,she is in her 80s ,has health issues and we are very concerned that the strain will have a detremental effect, the doctors don't seem to be concerned ,she doesn't want to put him in a home ,yet the winter when they cant get in the garden and stuck in the house,he has times when he goes completely off on one and we don't know what to do ,my mother in law is in pieces ,any advice would be good

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP :)

Accusations of theft are unfortunately very common.

Have you looked into him attending a day centre to give him something to do & give your mil a break at the same time?

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Day centres are a godsend and have saved my sanity and been very good for my husband. Ask for a careers assessment for MIL to see how she can be supported. Phone social services and explain how she is struggling.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
You need to tell social services that he is a vulnerable adult at risk and that they have duty of care. Ask for a needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for MIL. Day centres, sitting service, carers and/or respite can all be arranged if you don't let them fob you off. Describe the problem and his behaviour exactly and tell them what it is that would be most helpful.

pleb

Sep 28, 2015
day care

Welcome to TP :)

Accusations of theft are unfortunately very common.

Have you looked into him attending a day centre to give him something to do & give your mil a break at the same time?

he wont go unfortunatley ,it would be good ,he just follows my mother in law round ,say that he thought she had left him ,l am worried she is not going to get through another winter in the house with him ,we just dont know what to do the Alzheimers people were coming to asses him that was 8 weeks ago?