Help for Dad the Carer

Webbo77

Nov 2, 2020
Hi all. First time post here. My mother had dementia and my father is sole carer. I live some distance away and visit every fortnight. My mother has deteriorated quite rapidly in the last two months, which has shocked my family and my daughters too. I am very concerned for my father, mum's sole carer, as he looked shattered when last I saw him. Does anyone have advice on how /who to approach to attempt to get him some immediate support? We're currently in the 'middle' stage of things, and so I'm looking ahead to where we might be a few months from now. Any advice welcome - I literally do not know who to ask!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forum, @Webbo77. How awful to see your mum deteriorating so quickly, and your dad looking so tired with it all. First place to go would be your local council who are duty bound by statue to provide a carers assessment for your dad and a care needs assessment for your mum. For more immediate help the Dementia Connect helpline would be a good place to ask. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/dementiaconnect will give you phone numbers and times to call. They answered me straight away when I called a couple of days ago, so hopefully you should get support quickly.