Help for carers in Northern Ireland

Willis

Jul 15, 2007
Belfast
Hi there,

I am logging on in the hope that someone will be able to point me in the direction of some local help. My father is in his early sixties and has been unwell for over 10 years (he hasn't driven a car in over 4 and was diagnosed with alzheimers in 2004). His condition has effected him physically (he is unable to perform basic tasks such as dressing himself and eating) and he has problems getting his verbs out when he is speaking. His mind on the other hand is pretty good and if he wasn't physically effected it would be tough to see his condition.

My mum is his carer. A very bubbly and outgoing person she has coped pretty well to date but is having ups and downs. I live nearby and offer support to both of them - taking dad out once a week to give Mum some time on her own in the house, etc and trying to ensure that Mum and I maintain our friendship throughout.

Their situation is becoming increasingly hard for them to manage and I have encouraged Mum to try and seek some support, either through a carers network or professionally. Dad has started going to a day care centre once a week. Mum is obviously pleased about this as not only does she get time to herself but also dad is guaranteed a day out meeting new people, etc. The only problem is that the care doesn't seem to suit the stage of his condition - "they're all old people" - and being a rather quiet character he has been put into a position that he probably wouldn't choose to be if he was 100%!

I could type here all day but I guess what I am asking is:
- Are there support groups in Northern Ireland that Mum could join to give her the chance to engage with others husbands and wives that are going through similar situations?
- Where would I be best placed to try and find some alternative day care respite for my Dad? I am aware of the potential depressing effect of leaving him with people whose condition is at a further stage to him, etc.

Any advice would be welcomed! Many thanks...

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
I live on the opposite side of the world (Australia) so am no help at all in answering your questions!
Just wanted to welcome you to TP and say that you will find lots of support here. For most of us, TP is a godsend in coping with this dreadful disease.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you soon. Best of luck.

Willis

Jul 15, 2007
Belfast
Thank you

Many thanks for the well wishes and link to the carer centre in Belfast. I'll investigate tomorrow!
Willis.