Help! Difficult bathing times

Mollyholmes

Sep 29, 2014
I am stuck in a difficult position most nights with my husband who has dementia. He detests water and any attempts I make to bath him result in a tough situation where he shows genuine fear.

I have used baby wipes but want something longer lasting. I was hoping some of you may have heard of some products that I could try. I have tried boots, superdrug but can not find anything suitable.

Thank you very much.

juniepoonie

Jun 11, 2013
essex
would he let you use a wet flannel wrung out with soap, that wouls give a better result if he would tolerate it! you could use dry shampoo for his hair. a nurse in the assessment unit that my BIL was in said this is very common an that patients can see water as knifes or anything that could be scary to them. they don't see what we see. good luck juniepoonie xx

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
c has no fear of water but can't physically get in the bath. We use flannel for top half and baby wipes for personal side and legs. However am thinking of switching to larger wipes available from one of the care companies that advertise. There are some very soft large dry wipes that can be wetted that I am looking to get hold of. Good for thin skin. Dry shampoo is ok to a point but I think is itchy as powder with dirt is brushed out. I think these care companies also do shampoo for these situations. Put dry wipes in Google and surf what you come up with. I believe there is a good one beginning with'care'.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hello.
My mum developed a fear of water it was a nightmare.
Giving mum a wash with a well wrung out flannel was time consuming and mum got fed up/scared and usually tried to escape from the bathroom .
It was only when I asked people on here how I could wash her hair, that I was told about products called No Rinse .
I used their products for a long time.
They kept mum's skin and hair in good condition they had the added benefit of cutting down drastically the amount if time it took to wash her.

I am going to look for a link to them , it might take a while as I believe their name has changed.

With No Rinse It is the towel drying that does the actual cleaning.
I used to warm up the bottles of body bath and shampoo in some hot water.
They do shampoo caps too
https://www.norinse.co.uk/
If you click on the menu then on Nilaqua
You will see all the products that require little or no water and no rinsing.
Also check on their Pits n Bits menu.

Hope this helps.

Forgot to say. You don't need to use much of their product either

Last edited:

clifftops

Jun 6, 2015
H

I am stuck in a difficult position most nights with my husband who has dementia. He detests water and any attempts I make to bath him result in a tough situation where he shows genuine fear.

I have used baby wipes but want something longer lasting. I was hoping some of you may have heard of some products that I could try. I have tried boots, superdrug but can not find anything suitable.

Thank you very much.

Hi
I had problems with washing mum's hair because she hated the water running over her face. I now use something called a shampoo cap from Amazon (Nilaqua Rinse Free Waterless Shampoo Cap), which you heat up in the microwave for a few seconds, put on the head like a shower cap, massage in for a few minutes and when you take it off the hair is washed and just needs towel drying. It is brilliant and mum accepts it because it is so quick.
The other invaluable aid I have is a bath lift; I feel safer because I have no worries about getting mum out of the bath quickly if she gets upset.
Hope this helps.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robbertm